Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stepfather has a .25 that is totally siezed up that has been in a closet for 40 years or so that his grandfather gave him. He would've been the right age for this to be from the early 1900s. Anyway, I'd like to get it back into at least presentable condition.
I was hoping that someone on here could tell me exactly what it is and how to break it all down. Like I said, it's all siezed up so I'd like to know how it's supposed to come apart so I don't break something by forcing it the wrong way.

It has the following markings:

On the left side of the slide, near the muzzle:
CAL 635 M/M MODEL AUTOMATIC PISTOL
"DESTROYER" PATENT

On the right side of the frame, above the trigger:

It had 5 rounds in the clip and one in the pipe when i found it. Any info anyone has on this piece would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
It's a 1906 Browning inspired Spanish pistol by Isidro Gasztanaga of Eibar. It's the Model 1918, No. 2229 in The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Handguns by A. B. Zhuk.
One of hundreds of models of .25 and .32 Eibar pistols. Every garage and basement in Eibar must have been producing pistols and parts.

I once owned a similar Eibar pistol. it's quality was, IMHO, better than the Browning original. It deleted the silly grip safety, had a hammer instead of the fragile striker driven firing pin, and was much more accurate than the US version of the Browning, the 1908 Colt Vest Pocket. In imitation of the Belgian Browning Fabrique Nationale it was marked "Fabrique d'Armes d' Grande Precision" complete with an FN ish logo on the grips. The person I bought it from dropped his price by 2/3 when I explained it wasn't really a Browning, and that someone had "rust-proofed" it by dunking it in a can of black paint.

If you want one in operating condition they still turn up. Most of the smaller 6.35s are very similar, and use a lot of the same parts, especially barrels. Of course they should be inspected for safety and decent workmanship but you may be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for all the information, jjk. I've got the slide moving freely again, after lots of winchester pwoder blaster and 3-in-1 oil, but the trigger and all is still froze up....so now I just need to know the procedure for field stripping it, if anyone would be so kind...

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,606 Posts
I'm not sure how this one would strip, but check GunManuals.net - I doubt that this one by name will be on it, but I think I recall instructions for "generic" .25 Eibars.

I'd dunk it in Kroil (as in submerge it and leave it so) and let it marinate for a few days before I tried to disassemble, though.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
you might try looking up "ruby" pistols for disassembly instructions, too. not exactly the same but the actions are similar. You could also try posting the question on the spanish firearms board, member "bobinstlouis" may be able to help out with it. y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would try to scrub all the rusted parts with a brass brush and some kroil or something, I dont know if this could decrease the value or not so maybe a second opinion on that.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,606 Posts
It would be hard to decrease the value (never much, in money) on this one - do whatever it takes and you will do no (further) harm.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
If I recall correctly all of these little .25s are disassembled pretty much the same as the .25 Colt Automatic, a spanish made pistol circa 1965, not to be confused with the 08 vestpocket or Baby Browning. Basically you drop the magazine, pull the slide all the way back and rotate the barrel so you can pull it forward. Then when the barrel is clear the slide, spring, etc. will come forward off the frame. Requirements for safety position vary with the model. Good luck.

http://www.marstar.ca/AssemblyColt25AP.htm

·
Silver Bullet member
55,184 Posts
put it in a black plastic bag soaking in kerosene in the hot sun for a few days......this will soak through the encrusted thick rust......thus saving the blue that has been encroached over save-able blue, springs and all unseen parts areas hard to reach too will clean up easer when you get down to using gun cleaners and brass wool......hot sun soak been used 100 years with much success.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,901 Posts
If you want to spend enough to get this reblued, electrolysis will be needed to get it clean enough. Plan on new springs. Not sure who has originals, but maybe Wolff will have some. If not listed on their website, try e-mailing them.

Whatever you invest in restoring it will exceed the actual value of the gun, however, as a family heirloom, there would be great satisfaction of bringing it back to shooting condition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.