Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided while I was doing safe maintence that I would pull out and photograph my 2 family bringbacks. These helmets were brought back ie sent back after the invasion in normandy. He was a 9th army airforce chaplin assigned to support the frontline troops. He landed after the first landings on d day. First helmet is a Fallschirmjäger camo which is decorated by my grandad (the v, nazi sign and writing) for a gift to my dad. The writing on top says To walter from Dad Somewhere in france july 1944. This helmet is probally a gift to my grandad from a 101st airborne paratrooper after one of the services he held. The second helmet a single decal M1942 was personally taken from a building he occupied.

m42

·
Registered
968 Posts
The M42 marked ET 71 ( for Eisenhuttenwerke, Thale ) is HUGE! That's no doubt why chose it to "send back". "Normal" sizes are 60 ( extra small ), 62 ( small ), 64 ( medium ), 66 ( large ), 68 ( extra large ), and 70 ( custom order ); what on EARTH was THIS FOR!?!?!?

·
Silver Bullet member
113 Posts
All I can say is WOW !! great collection. as for the extra large M42, we all know that it's a commonly held belief, that all Germans of that period suffered from a somewhat swollen head, but all kidding aside, that must have been one big guy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually the ET71 and the 5073 stamping picture are of the M38 para helmet. The M42 pictures start at the side picture with the decal. The final picture is of the only stamping that i noticed on the M42. The m42 actually is pretty big.

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
Awesome!!!! I really love the decoration and having the inscription is even better!!! Ever thought about getting a chinstrap for the M42? Thanks for showing!!! BW, BB

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The helmet came back without a chinstrap for some reason unknown. I did pick up a supposed correct chinstrap years ago. I will need to authenticate it with a german helmet collector to verify its authenticity as its unmarked. I will need to post a new thread later as I took pictures of that also. Im lucky these items with alot of german paperwork he liberated have stayed in the family. I also have his photo album from the war with his helmet and uniform.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes for sure, german items are hard to get second hand that are not humped. Getting them first hand from the family is definitely the best. Here a picture of my father wearing the Model 1942 that I posted pictures of in 1945.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,070 Posts
The helmet came back without a chinstrap for some reason unknown. I did pick up a supposed correct chinstrap years ago but I will need to authenticated it with a german helmet collector to verify its authenticity as its unmarked. I will need to post a new thread later as I took pictures of that also. Im lucky these items with alot of german paperwork he liberated have stayed in the family. I also have his photo album from the war with his helmet and uniform.
JP1:

Wonderful helmets with a wonderful family history. I don't think you should add a chin strap. Keep your helmets exactly as they came back.

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
That's an awesome pic. I have one of my dad and uncle both wearing german helmets, daggers, armbands, and medals. They're both doing the salute and you can see my grandmother in the background with an extremely worried look on her face..........Funny thing about it was I brought my dads chained SS dagger to the Stratford CT Gunshow(RIP) when I was younger & three different dealers told me it was a fake...........The look on their faces when I pulled the pic out was priceless!!!! I really love stuff w/family provenance!!!! Thanks Again, BB

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
JP, I think I've viewed your post about 50 times!!! Again, thanks so much for posting. The V and inscription are incredible. To me, this is probably the most desirable helmet I've ever seen!!!!! I love it & please make sure you store it in the optimal environment!!!! BW, BB

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
JP1,

Based on the pics your para - in terms of variation, provenance and personalization is likely the finest German helmet I have ever had the opportunity to see. Suggest you prepare yourself to be bombarded by offers. In terms of value IMO well into five figures. I hope you keep it and the M42 in the family as such history is impossible to replace. Thank you so much for sharing with us!

Scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts