Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this arrived on Friday, chambered in 45-120, the action is from a company called Falling Block Works I don't know where the barrel or wood came from but it's pretty. Also came with 45 pcs of brass and a set of dies. Bought it off a hunter in the Northwest Territories who was thinning down his collection. I think it was built in 70's or 80's, can't wait to shoot it.
If anyone has any other information about this company I would appreciate it.

Wood Fender Gas Wood stain Metal
Water Air gun Trigger Vehicle Engineering
Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
255 Posts
Found this on another forum
Falling Block Works, Inc was founded by Joe and Leo Fix in Troy, Michigan in 1971, with the intent to offer rugged single shot rifle actions.

The company ran monthly ads in gun rags like HANDLOADER & RIFLE MAGAZINE, etc.

The actions were investment cast of 4140 steel, heat treated to Rc35-40.

FBW manufactured the following actions:

Model "H" receiver (width 1.375""
Model "L" Express Action receiver (width 1.470")
Model "J" receiver width 1.312"; Model "S" receiver (width 1.270")
Model "K" receiver (width 1.050")
Model "S" receiver (no spec available)

The breech blocks moved perpendicular to the chamber, all were fitted with Mann-Niedner firing pin bushings except the model "H" which had a cross pin firing pin retainer.

The actions utilized coil mainsprings and coil springs for lever tension, firing pin and trigger.

The Fix Brothers made the workings of their actions as simple as possible.

Actions were polished and blued.
Actions were supplied with through bolt for buttstock attachment.
Single triggers were standard and to my knowledge set triggers were never offered.

An S-shape style lever (like Winchester high wall, #3 Rugers, and some Steven's) was standard.

Actions were never offered for rim fire.

Factory Options:

Loop levers - 3 finger spur Schuetzen lever (Pope); Winchester schuetzen style lever, and regular loop levers.
Also offered was Tang sight adapters for Model"J" and for the smaller Model "S" actions.

Action strengths of the Model "J", "L" and "H" was advertised to be 100,000psi (strain gage) and 67,400CUP value.

1980 Prices:

Model "K" = $168.00 retail - $125.00 dealer
Model "J" = $185.00 retail - $140.00 dealer
Model "L" = $210.00 retail - $157.00 dealer
Model "H" = $185.00 retail - $140.00 dealer
Model "S" = $185.00 retail - $140.00 dealer

Optional Levers ranged in price from $34.00 to $40.00.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Had a .45-90 1886 wreck. Couldn’t ever get it right so I sold it. Had a couple .45-70s too. But now I’ve got a uberti .45-60 1876 NWMP Carbine. Nice rifle. I don’t think I’d want to mess with a .45-120. Thats a giant killer on both ends.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I ordered one of those FBW rifles in .45-120 for a customer sometime in early the ‘80’s. Special order fancy figure walnut timber and waited about a year to get it. It was a real looker for sure. Case colored receiver, polished white block with the rest of the metal a nice blue. He was happy. About a year later his brother (80 something years old) brings it back to trade for a Krag? Now it had a custom micrometer target tang type sight and an extra buttstock made longer with a higher comb and a nice checkered/Inleted shotgun plate. Also, 150 rounds loaded in Bertram .45 Basic brass and a custom made bullet mould. Sweet Jeezus!
I wanted to try it out myself but took it to a gun show to show it off and was made an offer that no one could refuse. Couple years later I’m walking around another show and there it is again, laying on a guys table. Extra stock, bullet mould, empty cases and a box of bullets. He’s all excited, “just bought it as a walk in, ain’t it pretty and cool” type excited. His story was the guy that brought it in was selling “his dads buffalo gun because it caused him to have detached retinas.”
Now don’t know about all that, but I suspect there just may have been some recoil related issues…….? Maybe?
But that was over 30yrs back now and although I keep an eye out, it hasn’t resurfaced to my knowledge.
That was the only one of those rifles that I ever handled BTW, which means nothing at all, but I view them as kinda scarce on the ground.
Thanks for the “Falling Block” memories!

·
Silver Bullet member
6,065 Posts
I'm kept happy with my cheap and cheerful Uberti HW in plain ol' .45-70 Gubmint. It has the fancy checkered stock with Uberti's standard high-gloss finish and the shoulder busting old-style butt.
It took me just two shots to figure out how to shoulder it correctly and I've never looked back....

Air gun Grass Wood Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well at least the comments are consistent , "pretty but painful", that said this is one of those purchases you go into with your eyes wide open so I was more than aware of the negatives but then again it's not my only single shot.

I have an 1873 Remington Rolling Block (Navy Arms / Pedersoli) , 1874 Winchester Highwall (Uberti), 1874 Sharps (Armi Sport) and a real antique 1884 Springfield Trapdoor. All of these guns are chambered in 45-70.

I also have a original 1910 Remington Rolling Block currently being fitted with a Green Mountain barrel which I hope to have back ina few weeks to start on fitting the wood.

Retreever

·
Registered
233 Posts
So this arrived on Friday, chambered in 45-120, the action is from a company called Falling Block Works I don't know where the barrel or wood came from but it's pretty. Also came with 45 pcs of brass and a set of dies. Bought it off a hunter in the Northwest Territories who was thinning down his collection. I think it was built in 70's or 80's, can't wait to shoot it.
If anyone has any other information about this company I would appreciate it.

View attachment 4006201 View attachment 4006202 View attachment 4006203
I recently sold a Sharps .45-120. used 535 grain bullets, full 120 gr of 3f. yes, they kick, named mine Thumper.
Buffalo Arms has everything you need for that rifle. Get a drop tube!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,832 Posts
I recently sold a Sharps .45-120. used 535 grain bullets, full 120 gr of 3f. yes, they kick, named mine Thumper.
Buffalo Arms has everything you need for that rifle. Get a drop tube!
Some years ago, i built-up a 32-40 Hi Wall Winchester using a coil spring hammer. Found a Darr heavy
barrel in 32-40 with a breech seater for the bullet. Hoch nose pour mould did not require sizing, very accurate.
On a Remington rolling block that I built-up, I made my own trigger as these rolling blocks really have a
heavy trigger, also bent the lower tang.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts