Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking into purchasing an FAL. I have always like the rifle, I used to have one from Enterprise arms but the one I had never ran right and I ended up trading it away for an AR15. Now I am looking to get one away and have the opportunity to purchase one built by CAI on a Metric reviver for $800. Does that seem like a fair price/good buy? I know admittedly little on the FAL.

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Proceed with caution in the case of CAI rifles.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Proceed with caution in the case of CAI rifles.
+1, i have a much older DSA imbel (DSA receiver.. rest is IMBEL.. including barrel) that i love. Now those kits are all gone... but i would look into finding an older imported/kit built FAL - like an Imbel or look to getting a newly manufactured DSA.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You don't say if you are interested in an "inch" or a "metric" version. The difference is in the magazines. The "inch" versions, imho, are much more robust and the mags tend to lock up really well. The "metric" versions have tiny "bird beaks" to lock up and, unless the magwell is well fitted, tend to be loose. Finding 'inch' mags is problematic. Finding "metric mags" always seemed easier. The big problem with FALs (aftermarkets like ours) would be in the feed lips not being properly aligned. I've never had an issue with the ones I purchased. They were CAI based units as well. They only issue I had was that the military "inch' mags it required had to be just slightly filed to fit perfectly since the groove that was milled by CAI in the mag well to receive the lip on the mag turned out to be too precisely cut. By just filing the protrusion on the mag a tiny bit I had a perfect lock up and never had a miss.

The CAI receiver is what's called a "unibrow" model with one feed ramp drawing from both sides of the double stack magazine. I loved my New Zealand FAL and it's the only rifle I slightly regretted selling as I parted out my collection a few years back. I did, however, buy a DPMS LR308B with the proceeds which, coincidentally, has an amazing resemblance to the FAL with the way it handles. The muscle memory is virtually the same but the DPMS doesn't have that beautiful wood but it is a tack driver, something that the FAL never was. The FAL, however, wasn't a target rifle but a battle rifle. MOA human being was adequate , even with the Trilux scope that was specifically designed for it. But it was a blast to own and shoot and always got rave reviews. It's a great battle tool, kinda like a sharpened butter knife on the table. The DPMS is more like a scalpel and can shoot way past the FAL for accuracy although they use the same ammo.

A lot of guys stayed away from the CAI rifles tending to build their own on the different receivers out there. I actually built mine around a CAI receiver and it was never anything but reliable and fun. Unlike so many issues with CAI stuff, the FAL receivers, the inch variety (which most of them were I believe) were nothing more than reliable.

Have fun! I envy you on the hunt!.

Rome

PS Edited to add that the FAL were ALL Metric. The L1A1 rifles were 'inch'. It's been a while.

·
Administrator
8,104 Posts
be carful what you buy, have someone check it over before you hand over the money, or from some you know and can go shoot it, some of the CIA were built on Imbel receivers, both gear logo and none gear logo, like already posted stay away from the unibrow, if you interested you can PM me, as of 3 days ago I had 3 brand new Imbel kits here, and I mean NEW, today there is one left

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Clarifying my original post.

SOME, but not all CAI rifles are thrown together from pretty much random parts. Some work fine, some not so much so.
Because so many different bits & pieces were used to make the "rifle of the day" you need to research them before committing. Some CAI builds had Imbel-made receivers, reckoned to be about the best, some had an unknown maker (or 2) with at least 2 different feed ramp designs.

Can you get a good one? Sure
Will you get a bad one? Possibly.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Clarifying my original post.

SOME, but not all CAI rifles are thrown together from pretty much random parts. Some work fine, some not so much so.
Because so many different bits & pieces were used to make the "rifle of the day" you need to research them before committing. Some CAI builds had Imbel-made receivers, reckoned to be about the best, some had an unknown maker (or 2) with at least 2 different feed ramp designs.

Can you get a good one? Sure
Will you get a bad one? Possibly.
Exactly agree. I would feel more comfortable inspecting a CAI with my hands and eyes than grabbing one sight unseen off the interwebs.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
My CAI imbel inch fal uses both inch and metric mags, always reliable. Great rifle only wish it was in wood. I'll never sell it. Stocked up on mags long ago...... I usually do that with any " gun" I get. :)

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I have an older Century made rifle, all parts except the receiver and furniture being Austrian. I don't know who made the receiver. But that rifle has never given me any trouble. I had a G-1 kit built on an Imbel gear logo receiver, by a professional builder, and it has not functioned well.

I was nervous when I first purchased my Century rifle, they had a pretty bad rap at the time, but I have never regretted it.

YMMV.

runner

·
Silver Bullet member
1,421 Posts
Hansel, I've seen a lot of your collection over the years and they are beautiful. I have one FN-49 and that's a century rebuild. Yours are sweet!

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,889 Posts
As ammo gets more expensive you might want to consider a more accurate rifle, generally speaking even the best FAL's will not group as well as some of the other 308 semi auto rifle designs.

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,934 Posts
As ammo gets more expensive you might want to consider a more accurate rifle, generally speaking even the best FAL's will not group as well as some of the other 308 semi auto rifle designs.
It's a frikkin' Battle Rifle, not a Target Rifle! That being said, mine will all group M.O.M. and some a whole lot better. I'm in the process of building a 50.61 right now. Now my Rhinoarms Series II is a totally different story.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts