Gunboards Forums banner

Fal grunt request...

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Frosty 
#1 ·
Hi FG & here's the Double Square Bridge Oberndorf pix reflecting the tangent rear sight.

Background info: Solid sidewall, Intermediate length action in 7x57. All matching of course! 1938-39 manufacture. Note the visibly elevated aft portion of the raised rib apparently providing 'beefed up' support to dovetail style tangent sight base. Beyond, rib sloping down to continue in approximate 'normal' height to muzzle.

Now, I'm with a question. this rifle with a "horn" buttplate. Deteriorated. Source for maybe 'replacement'?

Happy to 'flash my goods' here! :) :) :)
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What a gorgeous rifle, absolutely incredible! To my personal taste this is one of the most desirable Mausers, I love the later solid wall actions, not to mention the square bridge. The raised rib is very interesting and makes complete sense, and I don’t recall having seen that before, very neat. As to the buttplate, I personally wouldn’t touch it, the beauty of this rifle is that it is all original. I can’t recall off the top of my head the last time I saw a horn buttplate without this damage. As far as I know, all the replacement buttplates are urethane, and simply don’t look authentic at all, on a restoration project or some such, they are perfect, but to replace this one, is doing the rifle a disservice IMO. Maybe I’m too picky but I can’t tell you how many rifles I’ve passed on with replaced or incorrect buttplates, of course it all comes down to how it’s priced, but it’s a detractor in my eyes. Just one guys take on it of course, thanks for posting this!

Reactions: jwrauch
#4 ·
I'll be the trailing commentator, but I agree with everything so far said. Leave the buttplate. I, personally, would prefer a small defect but retain the original part. I think many on this board swap parts FAR too often to "improve". I would rather have the original parts.

As to the rifle, it is perfect.

In the bow release, double set triggers, tangent sight, the best style octagon Mauser made, and a double square bridge, solid wall receiver to boot.

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

#5 ·
...And my thanks to all here for their kind comments and observations! Particular momentary recognition concerning the renowned 'expert of experts' opinion with special thanks!
My 'find' at a latter eighties era Antiques Arms Show in Las Vegas. The seller with table, a "known name/class-reputation" in pricey rifle trade". Offering his word concerning the rifle all matching and as clean under-stock as visible portion. No disappointment and since a centerpiece of my modest Oberndorf sporter collection.

Below, adding few quick pix of its elder kissing cousin' from 1935, also "intermediate length", in single square bridge, naturally in 7x57 and apparently all original. Just 'honorable mention' rounding out these Obie Model "B" Intermediate acton sporters, my quite conventional yet nice 'Obie' sporter. All three with trigger guard bow releases.
The "Original Oberndorf" clan, ever in class league by themselves!
True thanks for sharing MK, Frosty and moreover my opportunity to share here at your request FG!

Best to all & Stay Safe!
John

Attachments

#6 ·
Beautiful rifle!

When I was a teen in the mid 70s I purchased a stunning Mauser double square bridge built up by Chas. Lancaster in .280 Ross with polygonal rifling and express sights. I paid all of $75 for it and when I couldn't find ammunition for it, I sold it to a fellow for $135 and thought I had made a killing! If I had only known....

#8 ·
I can't beat that, so I'm not even going to try, but there are some bargains out there, for sure. I got the urge to own a 7x57 Mauser back in the late 1980s' after shooting one very successfully at our Christmas 'running balloon' shoot, which I won with a borrowed Rigby.

A couple of months later my old pal in Chester, Jim Clark, late of Monks of Chester, found me this one at an auction, with a good story. It became mine for around $200.

It had been bought around 1913 by a family to take to East Africa, where they settled and grew tobacco. The rifle was used for pot meat for the locals, as was the habit back in those days, so it had seen some use when it came back to UK with the part of the family that had seen the writing on the wall with Mr Mugabe and his avowed intention to give Rhode- sorry, Zimbabwe, back to its original owners. the other part of the family went to neighbouring Tanzania. Fast forward to about six ago, when my Tanzanian fellow gun-club member was shooting it and hearing the story that came with it. Hmmmm, he he thought out loud, I went to boarding school in Harare with a guy called Xxxx Xxxxx, I'l ask him if he knows anything about it - just in case.

A few weeks later came the response - yes, it was his great grandfather's rifle, and he learned to shoot with it.

You can see it in action on my Youtube channel - tac's guns Mauser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-al-rcJsrLY

Here are a few pics of this 1912 Model B Sporting rifle -

The absent sling was actually being refurbished by a local saddler when I took these shots - it is a genuine Mauser sling that is as old as the rifle, which was bought from the Army & Navy stores in Great Victoria Street. London, not far from Victoria railway station.

And some of the ammunition that came with it.

#11 ·
It's a beauty Tac and good to see the two of you 'joined' on range! Thanks much for the video! The 7x57 Oberndorf sporter always for me with swoon-potential conjuring the "Intermediate Action"! Echoing FG as about saying it all. "Quintessential Mauser" in beautiful specimen and Plus 1 with frosty re time-warp preservation of such excellent state! Between rock bottom purchase price, high condition and gratuitous provenance occurring... Making it even more unique. As acquiring/fondling my guns, to have wondered often about their history... 'almost' exclusively denied!
A real winner there, young man!

Also the side note as viewing another 'classic mark'. That small watchband crown... portending! Quality complimenting that Mauser! Mine, "Explorer II" - Polar. Quarter century ago purchase new as 'hangin' in Luzern! Nowadays, reposing securely with guns!
Take Care & Be Safe!
Best! John

#12 ·
Thanks for your kind comments, John. Mention was made above of the care taken to look after this little rifle over the years- this is typical of former colonial guns that I have seen, mainly due to the often hand-to-mouth lifestyle of settlers and farmers in Africa, and the sheer cost of ever having to find a replacement. The barrel does show a little thinning of the blue in front of the barrel band, from the native African habit of carrying a rifle over the shoulder by the barrel.A good friend in Oregon sent me a few hundred 175gr flat base FMJs to try, and I have to say that they shoot pretty well - a 2.5" five-round group at 100m is about as good as I can get, though.

#13 ·
The crown is on the clasp of a bracelet attached to my seven-year-old Deep Sea Dweller. I like it because nobody else I know has one - simple as that. I also have a late 1960's Breitling 806 that I got given in exchange for a 100 Minié bullets - it WAS in bits, though, and an Omega 910 Flightmaster that I bought in 1971 for two months' wages. Also a few more Breitling, IWC, Ebel, Seiko, Brera, Cartier - stuff like that - and another three Rolex. When you can't buy the guns you want, there HAS to be something that you CAN have without rocking the boat.

#14 ·
Well, you have me beat by a long-shot! My several "timepieces" have all been spontaneous except for 'duty watch', honorable mention below. Often expensive 'encounters' as with extra time on hands; pun intended! I and jewelry stores don't ordinarily mix! I'm also with a mechanical Omega "Speedmaster Professional". From Macy's in late sixties, with brochure proclaiming "Mood Watch", which indeed it was!
Ref Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Speedmaster. Model worn to the moon on multiple US Missions. My edition, still NIB!
I 'had' a Breitling, electronic. Battery not just crapping out. Leaking and ruining the watch!

My only other watch of note, my 'everyday' absolute wonder. A Citizen model ascribed to Japanese Military trials. W/24 hour hand and all simple easy to read dial. Amazing: 21 years old now and never with the case back removed! Original battery recharging by totally invisible solar panel integral with face! Ambient light indoors sufficient and with several weeks residual for "Zero Dark Thirty Ops". :) Factually... Siberian Winter darkness tested! Oh My!) Banged around from my days of cycling! Now, minus about one minute per year!

Enjoy that bevy of fine watches & thanks for the conversation concerning!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

#15 ·
I might have a few nice watches, but I'd rather have a few nice guns like you do. Citizen watches are crazily under-appreciated. I have a few Seiko quartz watches from the late 70's and mid-80's, including the big black item that seems to have acquired a cult status, having been worn by Mr Schwartzenegger in a movie. All of them show accuracy that is as near as darn it around 1 spd, the 'Arnie' shows no deviation whatsoever, and that was bought in Northern Ireland in 1985. By comparison my Rolexi at 3 spd - even the Daytona - are wind-up $2 alarm clocks.

Apologies to all for thread drift, now, back to the topic........

#16 ·
Somewhat OT, but I consider 7x57 the ultimate Mauser cartridge. Now, if I could only find one in decent condition...
The Boers, Spanish and the Serbs were on to something when they adopted this cartridge. Why no other European nations adopted it is perplexing,

#17 ·
because the Germans had already been using the 8mm bore size for many years; also the French. so the rest of Europe just played along.

the 7x57 became universally accepted as a military and sporting cartridge, but others will do just as well. the 6,5x55, loaded with proper bullets will also do the job. and then there's Mr. Bell, who used 6,5x54 MS a fair amount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.