Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to build an FAL or a CETME rifle from a parts kit. Does anyone have any info on these and where to find them?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
There are a couple of companies selling FAL and CETME kits in the Shotgun News right now. Most kits are now being sold with US made barrels. Sarco has individual parts (expensive way to go) including some new made Argentinian FAL barrels ($149-$169 ea last time I looked).
The best FAL receiver is supposed to be DSAs versions. Good US compliance parts too.
CETME, I'm not to familiar with, but believe people are modifying the PTR91 receiver to work with the CETME parts kits. The PTR91 is definitely considered the best for a G3 build.
I have a couple of the Austrian FAL kits ( considered the best), plus a couple of new FMP G3 kits siting around waiting for me to put them together. Need to get off my butt and work on them.

In a couple of days I'm going to be puting a new Angentinian FAL barrel, and US made stainless steel G3 barrel on the FS board. The G3 barrel is supposedly one of the few parts that will work on a CETME. Email me if interested.

Tom

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
From last two Shotgun News

Inter Ordnance:

Imbel FAL with orig barrel - from $270-$349
Australian L1A1 - $299-$349

Enterprise Arms

Imbel FAL - $249-$399

Sarco

Metric FAL kits - $149-$259

Dealer Warehouse

CETME parts kit - $179.95

Hope helps - Tom

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Tom. You have already answered another question that I had when you said about Austrian Kits supposedly being the best. I know that it might get a bit expensive, but I want to put together the best one for the money. In other words I want to do it right. What makes the Austrian ones better and/or why are they considered the best? No offense, but I don't want to just squander money on something because someone says it is the best. I want to squander money on it because it IS the best. Just trying to hold myself back, and do my homework first. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
We think alike. I spent a lot of time looking for the best kits and US parts - changes unfortunately with time. What is best FAL kit?
The L1A1 inch pattern kits have some nice features, and good quality in them, but US compliance parts and receivers are supposedly hard to find.
The Austrian kits "used" to be in great shape and usually had matching numbers. The quality of fit and construction is better than average being Austrian made. Austria also had a very peaceful period during there use. Their look also stands out - metal handguard and long flashider.
The Argentinian Imbel FAL kits were generally in much rougher shape with mismatched numbers. Many of the kits have been refinished to hide their condition. Quality control was'nt considered as high as on an Austrian.

That said buy the kit based on condition, I would much rather have an exc Imbel than an average Austrian. Same condition - I would pick Austrian. Condition is everything!!!!

You have'nt even got to the good part - compliance parts. I changed my plan at least three times so far!

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
26,664 Posts
Compliance parts

We think alike. I spent a lot of time looking for the best kits and US parts - changes unfortunately with time. What is best FAL kit?
The L1A1 inch pattern kits have some nice features, and good quality in them, but US compliance parts and receivers are supposedly hard to find.
The Austrian kits "used" to be in great shape and usually had matching numbers. The quality of fit and construction is better than average being Austrian made. Austria also had a very peaceful period during there use. Their look also stands out - metal handguard and long flashider.
The Argentinian Imbel FAL kits were generally in much rougher shape with mismatched numbers. Many of the kits have been refinished to hide their condition. Quality control was'nt considered as high as on an Austrian.

That said buy the kit based on condition, I would much rather have an exc Imbel than an average Austrian. Same condition - I would pick Austrian. Condition is everything!!!!

You haven't even got to the good part - compliance parts. I changed my plan at least three times so far!
I dropped the hammer on a nice L1A1 kit from the only a****** at the MG shoot at KCR, as I want to build me up one as well (had an original uncut barrel and wood furniture). There is a fellow that is making the trigger packs for the inch pattern for the compliance parts. I've got his number at home, and will send it to you if you want. I think it was IO that had L1A1 kits with new made barrels there, for 399.00. That fellow was nice; I just wish he had what I was looking for instead of the other $#@^.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I definitely will buy on parts condition. I need a good gun, not a good wall hanger (i.e. pretty on the outside, but couldn't hit the side of a pig barn at point-blank range). What do you mean by "compliance parts"? Do you mean choosing which parts to replace in order to get it up to BATF standards? What do you mean you changed your plan, like which kit you are going to get because of BATF standards? Please forgive the ignorance, I am relatively new to all of this building guns from parts kits business.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
You basically need seven US made parts - the receiver being one. Last time I looked the inch pattern FAL receivers were not available.

Basically plans have changed because laws have changed, and new companies and products have come along. For instance; when I started flash-hiders were illegal - so I planed on a US made muzzle break - now I plan on the original military flash-hider.

On my G3 I plan on US made Receiver, hammer, trigger, sear, cocking piece, pistol grip, and fire control box.

I have as xtra US G3 parts - US made barrel, trunnion, muzzle break, complete 3-piece stock set, mag followers, mag floorplates.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
26,664 Posts
building

I definitely will buy on parts condition. I need a good gun, not a good wall hanger (i.e. pretty on the outside, but couldn't hit the side of a pig barn at point-blank range). What do you mean by "compliance parts"? Do you mean choosing which parts to replace in order to get it up to BATF standards? What do you mean you changed your plan, like which kit you are going to get because of BATF standards? Please forgive the ignorance, I am relatively new to all of this building guns from parts kits business.
The compliance parts are the leftover laws from the Assault weapons ban. Section 922 that was passed to go along with the ban, which would prohibit building a assault weapon from imported parts kits. To be legal, you have to have a number (I forget, 6 or 9?) parts that are domestic production, i.e. made in the USA. That is why so many companies have geared up to make AK parts and others.
I'll post the trigger makers name tonight. hth

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Argentine FALs are made by their military industries/manufacturer known as "FM" at their plant in Rosario. Brazilian FALs are made by their military industries, IMBEL, at their plant in Itajuba. Even though they look similar, they're slightly different, with the IMBEL being closer in design to the Belgian FN 50.00. I also agree that the Steyr is of a better quality than the Imbel, however, the Imbel is a more practical configuration with it's fiberglass reinforced handguards and buttstock with raised comb. In addition, if you find an assembled rifle with Imbel receiver or Imbel receiver to build on, you can basically have a rifle very similar to a factory-built gun ("Imbel on Imbel"). FALs are great guns!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I need to start looking at prices to find out what route I will go. Also that way I know what kind of money I will be spending, and can start to save. However you guys and your imput make it a lot easier. At least I know what general direction I will be going in. If/when I get it done I will be posting pictures hopefully soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts