Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,946 Posts
Try Randy Klein (sledgehammer) or if you must Gunplumber at ARS. He's a huge pain but does good work.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply do you know what the cost to have machined would be.

Thanks tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
You might want try posting on the weapons guild, members their probably have some experience of what is involved in the process.

·
Registered
12,946 Posts
Sorry, but no.I do not imagine it would be cheap, or fast, though. Give em both a call.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You are best advised to search around on FalFiles.com. You'll find the overwhelming consensus is that FAL 80% receivers are paperweights only. Very few people have ever succeeded in getting them running. It is my understanding that Gunplumber won't do it for anyone, though he'll do lots of other things. And it has been my experience with him, multiple times, that if you pay close attention to what he's saying, and carefully follow his instructions on how he wants you to deal with him, he's not a huge pain at all. But you DO need to pay careful attention, for sure; it is worth it, though, because he is technically among the very best in the FAL gunsmithing business -- after all, he wrote the book -- and he has a very loyal clientele.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys greatly appreciated sounds like need to cut loses and run as I bought 2 fal complete so I will post pic later thanks again tom

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
You are best advised to search around on FalFiles.com.
I would say forget FAL-FILES. It's heyday is long gone and that forum has very little value left outside of tacti cool idiots stroking themselves.

There is a lot more knowledge here.

Reactions: ken k

·
Registered
548 Posts
I would say forget FAL-FILES. It's heyday is long gone and that forum has very little value left outside of tacti cool idiots stroking themselves.
There is a lot more knowledge here.
I don't know how to quantify the relative amounts of knowledge here, there, or anywhere, but having built five L1A1 rifles (one from a receiver-less kit and four by scrounging up the parts from scratch) I can say from experience that there is a vast amount of excellent and helpful knowledge and advice in the 26,000 current and archived threads of the "Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself" and "L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files" forums in The FAL Files. I do not know about any of the other forums there, nor anything about its current membership as a whole either, but I can say that not all of FALFiles' 62K+ current members are "tacti cool idiots." That doesn't mean there isn't also a vast amount of knowledge to be found here on GunBoards, too -- but more often than not I was able to get specific detailed answers to specific detailed questions from FALFiles members when doing my L1A1 builds.

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
I don't know how to quantify the relative amounts of knowledge here, there, or anywhere, but having built five L1A1 rifles (one from a receiver-less kit and four by scrounging up the parts from scratch) I can say from experience that there is a vast amount of excellent and helpful knowledge and advice in the 26,000 current and archived threads of the "Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself" and "L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files" forums in The FAL Files. I do not know about any of the other forums there, nor anything about its current membership as a whole either, but I can say that not all of FALFiles' 62K+ current members are "tacti cool idiots." That doesn't mean there isn't also a vast amount of knowledge to be found here on GunBoards, too -- but more often than not I was able to get specific detailed answers to specific detailed questions from FALFiles members when doing my L1A1 builds.
At one time the FAL-Files was the go to board for all things FN-FAL. That is not the case anymore and I think is more an unfortunate result of the hacking attack on the boards. Most the members have gone other places leaving few behind.

I asked a simple question over there and ended up deleting the thread. My opinion and experience is mine, yours is yours so feel free to head that way and enjoy the community.

·
Registered
548 Posts
At one time the FAL-Files was the go to board for all things FN-FAL. That is not the case anymore and I think is more an unfortunate result of the hacking attack on the boards. Most the members have gone other places leaving few behind.

I asked a simple question over there and ended up deleting the thread. My opinion and experience is mine, yours is yours so feel free to head that way and enjoy the community.
The hacking attack was definitely a bad thing there. A shame, really.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
FALfiles has always been good to me. I've been a member there for a long time. You guys are right though the hacking didn't do it any favors. I think a lot of good info from years past was lost. I see mostly people trying to build "authentic" FAL variants rather than anything tact-cool. Just my opinion. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I forgot to add that I think it would be near impossible to finish one of those 80% receivers unless someone was a top notch machinist. Even then I think it would be difficult.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I forgot to add that I think it would be near impossible to finish one of those 80% receivers unless someone was a top notch machinist. Even then I think it would be difficult.
People know a little bit about 80% AR receivers and think that FAL receivers can be finished just as easily with a jig and a few drill bits, but the so-called 80% FAL receivers are an entirely different animal. They are better referred to as "incomplete, unfinished, abandoned receivers," and they were abandoned for a reason such as being out of spec, for example. Among other major problems, FAL receivers are hardened in specific locations which makes machining especially difficult even for the best machinist, as Ipcullen said. And if the 80% FAL receivers are not already properly hardened at the right locations, they are unsafe to shoot.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well sounds like paper weights to me.
was hoping to build a couple other fals with the parts that I have posted below, but sounds like a bust lol.
Many thanks for the reply
Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts