Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
5,395 Posts
Looks like it to me but I think VIC or TUCO are the experts.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Im no expert either but that looks fake to me. Why?

The photos of the real one were more squarish AFAICR. Your photo looks like a fresh cut or grind to me also, and it is not centered.

But the sad part is that the one I saw may very well also be fake.

There is probably no way to really know since there are so many fake ones out there.

Even if I found one today that looked perfect, I would still consider it fake unless there were documents to prove otherwise.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,611 Posts
I would agree with gonso, unless I walked out of the museum with it in my hands....
I just have not seen enough of them to know for sure. The couple I have seen that were "supposed" to be original were more narrow and deeper, more oval cut and milled rather than rat-tail file cut. As far as marks - not a clue, some marked some not. But, I am not to go into that - Skid

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Im no expert either but that looks fake to me. Why?

The photos of the real one were more squarish AFAICR. Your photo looks like a fresh cut or grind to me also, and it is not centered.

But the sad part is that the one I saw may very well also be fake.

There is probably no way to really know since there are so many fake ones out there.

Even if I found one today that looked perfect, I would still consider it fake unless there were documents to prove otherwise.
What documents would that be to prove it validity?

·
Registered
264 Posts
What documents would that be to prove it validity?

Capture papers indicating it was a sniper capture, that's the only one that comes to mind.

Or certification of some kind by an expert (if there is such a thing).

Sadly though, paper and ink can be faked as well.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
It would be sort of hard to get capture papers since we did not fight the Russians-

·
Silver Bullet member
2,476 Posts
German captured then US GI captured. Germans did use a lot of SVTs and probably captured some sniper ones.
I have a Russian TT-33, 39 dated, with capture papers issued to a GI. Probably captured from a Russian by the Germans then captured by the GI.
That would probably be the only way, Ray

·
Gold Bullet member
13,482 Posts
I agree with Ray A few came from the Russian encounters, but very few. I saw the one they gave Patton, because he loved the Russians so much, at the NGD a few years back. Cool gun.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It would be sort of hard to get capture papers since we did not fight the Russians-
As others have noted. Germans had a lot of these. I can think of only one case where a GI had capture papers on a German capture SVT.

IIRC, some might have also been sent to Vietnam. N. Korea maybe? Not sure about that but VC had them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts