·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In todays market, it is starting to require a considerate amount of skill to be even a novice milsurp collector. German items seem to be the toughest market for fakes and forgeries.
The German side is high end as far as pricing is concerned so there will be fakes. Any collectible worth anything is faked. If one wants to learn the assistance is there, for free, with detailed pictures and many knowledgeable guys willing to help. Someone who wades into any higher priced collecting field without taking the time to learn is a fool, and a fool and his money are soon parted.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Oh my lord, there are so many stamps for so many things. thanks for the link to the k98k forum, I did know about the Poland seller and the Austrian seller, since I bought those two e-books on WW1 and WW2 snipers from the Austrian. And I bought some scope parts and one other type parts as well from the Austrian seller, but who really is marking reproductions sniper setups with a restored marking? Is this a european commonly accepted practice? Who really buys these things, and the number stamps, he had three types, seems americans gobbled those up real fast, there are plenty of renumbered bolts and stocks, etc. Problem for fakers who strive to make profit instead of restoring, they never seem to have a steady hand, I can't imagine having to hold a stamp and whacking just right with a hammer, so easy to whack the hand, like the other night I was hitting a wooden dowel with a 3lb hammer to straighten out a m48 triggerguard that was bowed downwards, I am lucky to not have broken my hand when my aim was off, real lucky only to get a bruised hand.

Now, if this was like classic cars where folks enter in competition of "best in restored" class, those are fun to go and see, it is really amazing how a lot of cars are meticulously restored to like original condition. I mean, who wouldn't want to see horribly disfigured waffen ampt rifles meticulously restored to like original condition, but I don't believe I have ever seen one, other than the obvious faked up stuff, double stamped waffens, wrong font number stamps, wrong size, over priced, etc. I mean, I could do better work drunk off my butt than what a lot of the stuff I have seen, and I aint no expert on these here k98's or enfields.

When I worked in automotive repair(and I have a college degree in industrial arts, and once had 8 ASE certifications, the max at that time twenty years ago), one of the shop owners had us hand stamp(with a holder/positioner when using a hand sledge hammer), or had to use the heavy spring loaded stamper with the shop name, to mark our rebuilt carbureters or transmissions, and anything else that got rebuilt, I mean, I rebuilt and helped rebuild a lot of cast iron transmissions and had to mark the rebuild mark many more times as "the new guy" since it was labor intensive and the impact stamper hurt to use, date, etc, cause tags could be easily removed and put on another transmission, engine,, differential, or carburetor and brought in for warranty repair, I mean, it aint hard to stamp but ya got to know how to do it and have the proper equipment even for "hand stamping" apart from real machine stamping, I learned bout stamping in technical school, and the army maintainance, which is why when I see stupid stampings off center, etc, its obvious they didn't use a jig to do the work, or an impact stamper. I remember grumbling about quitting and getting another job pertaining to having to stamp everything, but he told me that he started losing tens of thousands of dollars every year by con artists claiming his rebuilds and two shops had to rebuild previously supposed rebuilt items,one smaller shop owner went to county jail for theft of services when getting us to redo something we never rebuilt a bunch of times, it was a reputation ruiner. Well, what ruined everything was larger companies, one even in mexico, where rebuilt items became cheaper and cheaper, so he retired, it became easier, even now, to buy a complete rebuilt unit, like a transmission, sometimes out of southern California, even mexico, using cheap illegal alien labor, where it is a no brainer to rebuild something if you do the same thing all the time, but I digress and runneth of the mouth by hand typing, excuse me. Main point, hand stamping easy to be well done with proper equipment, and the flunkies will still screw up the work.

I don't know anything bout machine stamping other than what I read in the argentine mauser book bout it. And once again, stamping don't interest me, its currently generally employed the way art forgers employ their skills, in a crooked way generally, but oh sure, there has got to be several people out there restoring firearms with markings for their own personal satisfaction, I aint against that like I could care less if someone painted a vintage ss Camaro 396 in the color hot pink and made sure it had a two barrel carburetor, ....their car, their waste of money, have at it. But wow, all those stamps cost a lot of money per stamp, I mean, I am sure some enterprising individuals have bought one of every last style stamp available, probably spent thousands of dollars.

I wonder if people stamp some of these older actions, those that are weak in a spot, etc, could in theory crack the metal?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts