Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone is knowledgeable about rare K98k suppressors? I got this piece and it looks almost too good to be real. Interestingly the construction is an almost identical copy of the Soviet Bramit suppressor for Nagant rifle. I read from somewhere that Germans had serious problems delivering the rubber pads that were meant for this model and perhaps due to a shortage of rubber the pads inside are made of felt instead?

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I see no waffenamts or any other military production stamp you would expect for a military K98K produced item. Even the cleaning kits are marked with a maker code and the waffenamt stamp.

The stamps on the device look to be done with hand. The double struck 8 really does not look right.

That said I have never seen anything like this and am not an expert.

·
Banned
649 Posts
Im not a expert but knowing the germans, they would not have stamped a 98k suppressor "k98". It does look to be a older piece. Looks a bit like a cross between a 98k and a mosin nagant suppressor. Possibly post war produced? 1950s?

John.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all comments above! Indeed Germans would not have marked it k98. I bought this item two weeks ago from an Austrian who claimed that he bought this and another similar silencer with snos 880 and 881 from Herman Historica auction some 30 years ago and they were supposedly found from Peenemünde at the end of the War. Well the truth turned out to be something else: I made this same inquire at the WH Awards Forum and got a reply from a Belgian who wrote that he made this and 5 other similar K98 suppressors 15 years ago for himself and his friends a
nd they were not meant for the market. He also sent me the attached pictures of similar suppressors also marked within sno range of 800:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He also made a few K98 silencers of a slightly different type. So be aware if also those are being sold as originals. These Belgian repro silencers are indeed very well made! They don't have WaA proof and the K98 stamp should indeed alarm an experienced collector.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.