Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember this discussion came up a long time ago and figured I'd bring it back to life once I saw this auction. Here is a restamped K98 with a stupid looking, and wrong, byf 1944 marking.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=81312756

Does anyone know who did this and how many were done? WHY???? I've never seen a scrubbed receiver before so did someone scrub it them self and restamp what they thought was a rare marking? The stock has that VZ 24 look to it ( Sling bands on the side and under the stock) The bolt looks weird too.
BARQS19

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,026 Posts
Those bolt markings look Turkish to me, as does the serial # stamp on the rear receiver bridge. I've seen photos of a faked "BYF" mauser identical to this one before, apparently there are a number of these floating around? Pretty crappy looking gun.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That doesn't even look like blueing. Looks more like that Russkie black paint. Check out those black flakings going on. :D

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,262 Posts
How far is Coeur D Alene Idyho from Eagle anyway? :confused:

SlimTim

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Tim: About 400 miles - obviously not far enough to discourage a North Idaho backwoods bubba! These carbines showed up in the Cd'A, Id. and Spokane, Washington area within the last two years. They have appeared at gun shows and have been advertised in local papers. Their maker is rumored to be in the Blanchard, Idaho area (northwest of Cd'A by about 40 miles). They are not from Mitchell's Mausers. I have never heard them advertised as "tanker" models until now. A close examination of one revealed it to be made from a cut-down Turkish rifle wearing a Vz24 stock. The metal was black-painted and the front band was held on with two brass brads. The cleaning rod fit in a hole and had NO nut (or threads!) to secure it. The wood was finished well. At $150. to $200. (depending on wallet size) it makes a nice-looking cobbled-up truck gun. It has no original military history and should never be passed of as any type of mlsurp. It is pure "Bubba"! Here are some pics I posted over a year ago. Now I want to find out who "gumbo gun" is...I don't want him "getting to" me! HTH, DDR

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,262 Posts
:)

Maybe Little Nosh has disciples out spreading his perverted gospel. Thankfully these don't resemble anything real. :confused:

Good job with the intel!! :D

Makes me wonder, has anyone ever tracked what Little Nosh purchases on auction? He seems to buy a good bit from looking at his feedback. I wonder if any of his purchases ever reappear with "enhancements." Anyone who's been around these forums for several years know that such methodical observation has worked before to out a forger.

SlimTim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts