Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently won this Japanese good luck flag on ebay. I have a feeling that it may be a fake but since I only paid 60 bucks shipped for it its ok if it is. Upon my inspection, the flag itself appears authentic but the kanji and temple stamp appear different from my other authentic good luck flag. I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinion on it. I have attached pictures below. I apologize if it is upside down. Id appreciate any help yall can provide. Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am just beginning to study these myself, so I may not be too helpful but the first thing I noticed was it's all written by the same hand. Very atypical for a hinomaru yosegaki, as is the apparent absence of wartime slogans. At least any that I can immediately identify. I think it's an old, legit momento, just not a good luck flag. For the price regardless of what it is I think you have a nice conversation piece! I'll spend some time and see if I can decipher anything, mostly for my own practice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This flag is not good luck or send to the war flag. It could be written for/by US troops for battle commemorate maybe?
It wrote
美軍大捷(Great victory for US Army)
野川敗將(Nagawa is defeated)
海軍陸戰隊(Marines)
The following look like Japanese troop numbers
陸軍第八師(Army 8th Division)
陸軍第九師(Army 9th Division)
步兵第七師(7th Infantry Division)
步兵第三連(3th Infantry Company)
步兵第五師團部(5th Infantry Division Regiment HQ)
Maybe that was the battle those troops participate in? But, the Japanese army usually uses 師團 instead of for Division.
Two of the writing kind of not make sense
1.空軍運輸机運輸 (Airforce transport aircraft transport)It's missing something like XX Brigade(大隊), also the should be instead.
2.中川挺身隊部師(Nakagawa Death Squad Division?)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This flag is not good luck or send to the war flag. It could be written for/by US troops for battle commemorate maybe?
It wrote
野川敗將(Nagawa is defeated)
海軍陸戰隊(Marines)
陸軍第八師(Army 8th Division)
陸軍第九師(Army 9th Division)
Maybe that was the battle those troops participate in? But, the Japanese army usually uses 師團 instead of for Division.
1.空軍運輸机運輸 (Airforce transport aircraft transport)It's missing something like XX Brigade(大隊), also the should be instead.
Thank you very much for translating it! When you have a chance could you please translate my other good luck flag? Id greatly appreciate it. Pictures below:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It wrote
野川敗將(Nagawa is defeated)
海軍陸戰隊 (Marines)
陸軍第八師(Army 8th Division)
陸軍第九師(Army 9th Division)
Mei (1st word, 1st line), meaning "US" or "America" is the Chinese term. Japanese would be 米国 Beikoku or just 米 Bei if they don't use katakana アメリカ A Me Ri Ka. The usual Japanese term for Marines is 海兵隊 Kaiheitai.
So, this flag could be a souvenir made in China.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts