Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has this-He got it from a guy that said it was from "Saving Private Ryan" and also had solid resin M-1 Garands.Anyhow dont know of the veracity of the story but it was molded off a S/42 1938 mis matched but has some kind of British proof on barrel and receiver.Front sight was not cut later for hood.Most of the SN's and Wa's came thru in the mold process-even on the bands.Trigger was broken off.He later said he wished he would have bought one of the M-1s also.From a distance it passes as a real one-and in movies where you have a lot of guy trapiseing around it has to be cheaper and safer than handing the real thing out.I have not seen either 98K or M-1 for sale,He bought it at a gun show in MI.

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,752 Posts
It's true, that is an SPR 98k. I bought a few from At the Front years ago. They had all the props from the movie....good times back then. There are also molded bayonets and rubber field gear.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I wonder how much it costs to do a resin mold like that.

I bet you could use a vacuum form to get a nice detailed, reusable mold. Or just use latex/fiberglass. Do you think the heat from the vacuum process (guessing 150-300 F) would damage the wood?

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Is that repro flaking shellac? OH NO! I can almost see it now! A whole new argument about whether or not plastic RC k98 copies are worth big bucks or not!
Then the posts on how to strip/refinish, etc., etc., etc. !!!!!

·
3,752 Posts
Is that repro flaking shellac? OH NO! I can almost see it now! A whole new argument about whether or not plastic RC k98 copies are worth big bucks or not!
Then the posts on how to strip/refinish, etc., etc., etc. !!!!!
It's funny, but if you look at the mold,I think the rifle was an RC. They look EXACTLY like an RC, with flaking shellac and all. Wonder if they copied it to the T?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mrfarb-Thanks for veifying the story.Are they all this date from one mold? I know it really didnt matter what the receiver says just that they pass the walk by test.Did they have other Resin copies-MP-40's or pistols ?

·
3,752 Posts
Mrfarb-Thanks for veifying the story.Are they all this date from one mold? I know it really didnt matter what the receiver says just that they pass the walk by test.Did they have other Resin copies-MP-40's or pistols ?
Yes, all were the exact same code (made from the same mold). Many had broken bolt handles and trigger guards, even right after filming. Some had slings on them too! There were not many MP40's, but there were plastic MG42's and MG34's (just a few). All of the props were there from the movie, down to the snipers helmet and the helmets from the guys that fell out of the bunker on fire. Plenty of uniforms with squibs (blood packs) attached and fired, bloody uniforms, panzer uniforms, etc. It was cool- all that stuff is spread to the wind now. I have 1 2nd Ranger helmet left and a few bit's and pieces. I sold a lot of it over the years on ebay to fund 98k's.

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
That is a neat piece from the movie. Wish I bought one of the mp-40s when it was avaliable!

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Yes, all were the exact same code (made from the same mold). Many had broken bolt handles and trigger guards, even right after filming. Some had slings on them too! There were not many MP40's, but there were plastic MG42's and MG34's (just a few). All of the props were there from the movie, down to the snipers helmet and the helmets from the guys that fell out of the bunker on fire. Plenty of uniforms with squibs (blood packs) attached and fired, bloody uniforms, panzer uniforms, etc. It was cool- all that stuff is spread to the wind now. I have 1 2nd Ranger helmet left and a few bit's and pieces. I sold a lot of it over the years on ebay to fund 98k's.
Typically silicon molds don't hold up past 20 resin castings. 80 shore d resin gets to a pretty decent temperature and it is very aggresive on the molds.

I bet they had quite a few molds made.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a Garand that I gave to my son that was sopposed to have been used in SPR also. Looks similar to this as far as the way the molding looks.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Now, if it would have been chrome plated ....
;-) A

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
ANDREY said:
Now, if it would have been chrome plated ....
;-) A
Just a little chrome paint and you too can have your dream can come true of owning a SPR chrome plated resin cast K98 made with quality materials and made to exacting standards and detail from a mold off of a chrome plated Waffen SS / Hitler Youth / Occult Legion K98 that belonged to one of Hitlers personal body guards who guarded him as he escaped to Argentina in 1957 from his secret bunker in Stalingrad, via Omaha!

XD

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
S/42

I believe there is a scene where there is a close up of the reciever and you can see the code, I'd have to go back and watch it but I think I remember seeing that.

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,170 Posts
They must have some kind of ridgid reinforcement inside. I can't imagine RTV handling all the stress without support. Actors and stunt guys i've seen are rough on props. Watched Vic Morrow bang the daylights out of a real thompson during a "combat" scene at warner bros in the 60s. The german stunt guys had real mausers and beat them up as well. Not sure plastic ones would take it. Morrow was a good man and took the time to talk to us between filming.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts