Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a MAS 36 rifle for sale that is in pretty decent shape. It has the early type rear site, magazine floorplate, and trigger. Also, the barrel is dated 1940. Serial numbers match except the trigger guard. What would be a fair price to offer for a rifle like this? Thanks very much.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,097 Posts
Fair Price

Condition is everything, so the price would depend on the overall condition of the rifle as well as it likely being a pre-war example form you description. Sight unseen, I say a starting point would be hard to establish. Could you post some decent pictures of it?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, I don't have any photos. I would call the condition very good - the bore is clean and shiny, strong rifling, about 75% of finish left, all 3 pieces of the stock are the same color and wood type, stock has some small dings and dents, no gouges or scratches. Nothing is loose or worn out. Hope this helps. Even a price range would be helpful as I have no idea what to offer for it. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I would have no idea, based upon the data provided, but should you wish to search the 90 day histories of the major auction sites, you will fine both pictures and fair market value. I wish you luck, they are fine rifles.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I searched gunbroker, but not auctionarms. The couple on Gunbroker I thought I found turned out to not be early ones. I'll see if I can get the photos from my wife's cell phone. I found it at a yard sale while waiting for my wife to finish looking at the "junk." I struck up a conversation with the guy running the sale and in passing mentioned I was interested in older military rifles. He told me to wait a bit and he ducked inside. He came back out with the rifle. Said he would consider selling it but that I had to come up with an offer. He really doesn't know what it's worth, but neither do I. I don't want to offer him $100 if it's worth a lot more (or a lot less). I'm not out to lowball the guy but I don't want to spend more than it's worth. Thanks for the suggestions.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave - Thanks for the info. That sounds about right to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts