Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have found a russian and romanian SKS at a local gun shop... I am interested but do not know much about these rifles, other than doing some searches on the net and checking out the inflated prices on gunbroker...:confused:

My budget is limited and I want to make the best choice for my money. I plan on plinking with it and having an investment for later.

I do have a yugo m59/66 I have had for a couple of years for plinking fun...
Wondering if the prices are fair for current demand.

Both are import marked I have not checked the bores. When I go back on Monday, I will.

1. The russian is $300 and has a scope attached it appears all matching except the receiver cover (which has the scope rail). Original I assume is missing. No bayonet or cleaning rod. It has something in the stock recess hole (I assume the cleaning kit). The stock finish appears to an old light color. Looks appropriate and no bad gouges or dings. The metal is dark to include the bolt. I assume the scope is after market...

2. The romanian is $225 and appears to be all matching. I did not remove the bolt so do not know if it matches. No bayonet, cleaning rod or cleaning kit in stock. The stock finish is a dark shellac color that is coming off in chunks. Stock looks decent with no bad gouges of dings. The metal is dark to include the bolt.

Didn't the russians and others chrome the bores for protection? I know the yugo sks's aren't...

Thanks for any help or insight... I know I should have written the serial numbers and maker marks down... Spur of the moment, walk by...

...rcmauser

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
The Soviet is worth about the sum of the parts. I would not pay 300 for it since it is missing original cover (covers are numbered to the carbine, missing cover means missing original part which is very bad for a collectible piece).

The Romanian is fairly priced and if it is one of the better looking, then you should probably grab it quick.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,047 Posts
The Soviet is worth about the sum of the parts. I would not pay 300 for it since it is missing original cover (covers are numbered to the carbine, missing cover means missing original part which is very bad for a collectible piece).

The Romanian is fairly priced and if it is one of the better looking, then you should probably grab it quick.
What IJ said.....and I'd interject that around here folks at the gunshows can't move Russian SKS' for $250 in all matching condition, not with Chinese for $175 and Yugos for $150....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.