Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I went shooting this weekend and a friend had a 50 cal Black Powder Rifle and now I'm hooked. What I need is Black Powder Class 101. Where can I go to learn all about this kind of shooting? I am looking to purchase a BP pistol (I have a CCP). Please help. Thanks :D

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
This post kind of catches me off guard, and I see it has had some views with no replies yet. I'll try to help and suggest that maybe you send for a Dixie Gun Works catalog. They have lots of items for sale and some decent shooter information. I'll also say "Google" search for information too. You might be surprised at what you will find. If you have more specific questions about muzzleloaders & black powder arms, ask away. I'm sure that others & myself would be happy to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This post kind of catches me off guard, and I see it has had some views with no replies yet. I'll try to help and suggest that maybe you send for a Dixie Gun Works catalog. They have lots of items for sale and some decent shooter information. I'll also say "Google" search for information too. You might be surprised at what you will find. If you have more specific questions about muzzleloaders & black powder arms, ask away. I'm sure that others & myself would be happy to help.
Thanks, already googled, going to my local gun dealer and ask questions, and I will try the Dixie Gun Works..

THANKS!

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
OK I went shooting this weekend and a friend had a 50 cal Black Powder Rifle and now I'm hooked. What I need is Black Powder Class 101. Where can I go to learn all about this kind of shooting? I am looking to purchase a BP pistol (I have a CCP). Please help. Thanks :D
You would be doing yourself a great favour by joining with many of us on www.muzzleloadingforum.com

There you will find HUNDREDS of dedicated BP shooters, of the traditional kind - NOT in-line rifle shooters, many of whom, like you, might be new to the game, or just an interested on-looker.

Please join us over there - it's totally free!

tac
www.muzzleloadingforum.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly what do you want to know first ? List a few Questions & we will endeavour to answer them .

Are you looking for authenticity? What time period ? Matchlock,Flintlock,percussion?Pistol ,shotgun or rifle?
At this point I am thinking about a pistol with percussion caps. This would give me 5 to 6 shots per load. in a large caliber like .44 to .50 or higher. Is this a good place to start? Which pistols do you recommend? I appriecate your help. Thanks!

·
fuzzy little man peach
8,738 Posts
You would be doing yourself a great favour by joining with many of us on www.muzzleloadingforum.com

There you will find HUNDREDS of dedicated BP shooters, of the traditional kind - NOT in-line rifle shooters, many of whom, like you, might be new to the game, or just an interested on-looker.

Please join us over there - it's totally free!

tac
www.muzzleloadingforum.com
But what about us BP cartridge shooters? :)

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
At this point I am thinking about a pistol with percussion caps. This would give me 5 to 6 shots per load. in a large caliber like .44 to .50 or higher. Is this a good place to start? Which pistols do you recommend? I appriecate your help. Thanks!
Well , I believe I am the worlds biggest fan of the 1858 remington .44 . Never had a chain fire or misfire with one . They fit my hand better . Simple loading & cleaning . NOT the gun you want if you want to twirl & fastdraw-although my crossdraw with them is quite capable .

You already know guns , It is like ford vs. chevy . Everyone has their preference for their own reason . For me it boils down to Safety & dependability & the .58's have both in spades . They occasionally come up for sale here on the WTS forum . 1 Hint about the .58 . Buy extra cylinders ! With practice , you can switch out cylinders as fast as a modern clip . Just Pre-load & wear in a pouch on your belt . When I do my cowboy re-enactments , I can fire off 42 rounds before I have to die !

Just my opinion though .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.