Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
extractor disassembly/assembly

Topic author: bfoo
Subject: extractor disassembly/assembly
Posted on: 08/29/2006 10:51:26 AM
Hi,

Is it possible for someone to post how to remove the extractor with pictures/video? Make me feel more confident removing it.

Thanks.

Replies:

Reply author: Teakwood
Replied on: 08/29/2006 7:45:14 PM
It is a little tricky to describe (as it is to perform).
Here is my effort, FWIW.
If somebody has a better procedure, feel free to jump in.

Here is a pic that may help, using the tip of the milsurp cleaning rod. Place the tip of the cleaning rod between the extractor and extractor follower. Apply pressure against the follower to relieve the spring tension on the extractor. Then tip the extractor to remove.
It takes practice.

Also, it may be a good idea to do this inside of a clear plastic sack. Parts can go flying.

Reply author: Timbo
Replied on: 08/29/2006 8:21:11 PM
It helps to see how the extractor fits into the slide. It hooks in, so move it slightly towards the rear sight as it comes out. Makarov.com suggest a large Ziploc freezer bag, so the parts stay close if the tool slips. Here are a couple pics to let you see the extractor and how it is shaped and fits into the slide. Click on the pic to enlarge, then once more gives you the actual size, even more detail.

EDIT: http://www.makarov.com/tech.html

Reply author: merc460
Replied on: 08/29/2006 10:02:51 PM
I too had a very hard time removing the extractor. I got so frustrated! After about a half hour I got lucky. I then really looked closely on how it actually hooked in and now know how to remove it.
I'm not an expert at removing it, but I sat down and took the time to make this video for you and anyone who should need it. Removal and Replace of Extractor.
I hope this helps........

http://media.putfile.com/Makarov-Extractor-Removal

Reply author: tm45
Replied on: 08/30/2006 01:35:51 AM
Excellent job Merc, less than 50 seconds! But looks like you cheated and clamped the Mak down?? No fair.

FWIW,
I use a little alcohol and Q-tip to clean oil etc. off surface of extractor. Then, stick about a 4” piece of good masking tape across the extractor. Extractor in the center of the piece of tape. Fold the ends of tape to make a couple ‘ears’ to hold on to. If I’m careful, I can lift the extractor out first or second try, without scratches. T

BTW, I tried scotch tape, but that didn’t hold onto the extractor as well as the masking tape.

Reply author: ij70
Replied on: 08/30/2006 04:42:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by merc460

I too had a very hard time removing the extractor. I got so frustrated! After about a half hour I got lucky. I then really looked closely on how it actually hooked in and now know how to remove it.
I'm not an expert at removing it, but I sat down and took the time to make this video for you and anyone who should need it. Removal and Replace of Extractor.

Very well done indeed.

How big is the file?

Reply author: bfoo
Replied on: 08/30/2006 08:08:56 AM
Sweet video, and sweet tips. Doesn't look too hard now, I'll give it a try. Thanks to everybody.

Replied on: 08/30/2006 11:46:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by ij70

quote:Originally posted by merc460

Very well done indeed.

How big is the file?

That video is only 6 mb. I can make it smaller.

Yep.... I clamped it down with a rubber padded 'quick clamp', it makes it sooooooo much easier.

I am going to try the masking tape trick, it sounds like a great idea.

Replied on: 08/30/2006 12:36:03 PM
Not half as good an idea as that Video!
It would be an excellent Sticky Post!

Reply author: arcom the first
Replied on: 08/30/2006 1:13:56 PM
I will keep quiet I will keep quiet I will keep quiet I will keep quiet I will keep quiet

Nice video, tho!

Replied on: 08/30/2006 1:48:18 PM
Hehe don't you mean keep quiet? Typed it wrong quite a few times there.

Replied on: 08/30/2006 2:39:43 PM
quote:I will keep quiet I will keep quiet I will keep quiet I will keep quiet

What? You don’t like the tape thing? I have big hands and it was a bitch trying to get that thing out of there the first time I tried one. Turning the gun upside down and shaking it didn’t work either!

OR, are you talking about the fact that the pistol isn’t enclosed in a plastic bag?? The bag is taken for granted I guess. SOP so to speak.

Replied on: 08/30/2006 5:05:38 PM
I'm sorry, it just looked staged to me. Not real at all. There was no narration, and he didn't even say "Fiddle sticks!" when he lost the grip the first try. You'll have to do better than that Mister.

Replied on: 08/30/2006 5:21:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by Timbo

I'm sorry, it just looked staged to me. Not real at all. There was no narration, and he didn't even say "Fiddle sticks!" when he lost the grip the first try. You'll have to do better than that Mister.

I'm busted! It was trick photography.
I said more than 'fiddle sticks' on that misque, I had to edit it out.

Replied on: 08/30/2006 8:42:27 PM
Very good. I tried to save the video but not allowed. It sure takes the mystery out of removing the extractor for the newbys.

Replied on: 08/30/2006 9:47:17 PM
I went and made another one. This one is using the cleaning rod only, as intended. No padded clamp, as some may not have one. No pliers, as not to take a chance with scratching. The scratches on my IJ-70 in the video were on there when I bought it.

No sound to this video, the kids were playing and the wife blabbing on the phone.
It includes a close up view, then zooms out for a full view as to see how to hold the slide and tool to make the job easy.
This one is a much better video showing the procedure.

7.5 Mb video
http://media.putfile.com/Extractor-removal-Makarov

Reply author: criticalbass
Replied on: 08/30/2006 10:27:15 PM
Excellent video!

When you get the extractor out you will want to clean the recess where the spring goes. Don't use a Q-tip. The tip will come off and you'll have lots of fun getting it out. If you do this anyway and the tip comes off, twist a small paperclip wire around a small nail a few times to make the end of the wire like a corkscrew. You can twist the "corkscrew into the cotton wad amd pull it out. Make sure you do not try to dig it out with something else first. That will just pack it tighter and make it harder to dig out the cotton.

A pipe cleaner works well to clean the recess, and is also good for the firing pin channel.

Lots of folks are reluctant to tackle the extractor, but it is easier than it appears. Nearly every one will have old cosmoline in it. CB

Reply author: North Bender
Replied on: 08/30/2006 10:57:00 PM
merc - very well done. I request a new topic: "Extractor Removal Video" with your last post and a note that it takes a while to load.

George - I think this video should be a sticky. I'm sure you'd add a safety caveat.

Replied on: 08/30/2006 11:00:55 PM
Would be better if merc460 could send the video to makarov.com, and if possible host it on the makarov.com website. Takes long to load, and will probably disappear after a while hosting offsite.

Probably should credit yourself in the video too.

Reply author: North Bender
Replied on: 08/30/2006 11:05:25 PM
That too.

Replied on: 08/30/2006 11:31:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by bfoo

Would be better if merc460 could send the video to makarov.com, and if possible host it on the makarov.com website. Takes long to load, and will probably disappear after a while hosting offsite.

Probably should credit yourself in the video too.

Thanks guys, I just want to help out others as much as everyone here has helped me.
I made it a 'new topic' and made the file size smaller, so it should load faster now. Credited myself too.
If Makarov.com would want a copy, I could send it.

Replied on: 08/31/2006 03:22:52 AM
I liked the clamp.
FWIW, the smaller file took about 4+ minutes to load on my 52,000bps connection.

Seen other sites like that. Why in Gods name do they call it ‘Buffering’? It’s Loading! Not your doing, I know.

Wish I’d been able to see a video like that the first time I removed one. Sure would have been worth the short wait, just to see the actual parts and action. There’re new MAK owners around here all the time. It’s ‘Must See’ viewing for them IMHO. Have a feeling a lot of owners don’t clean theirs until they have problems. Nice job there! T

Reply author: arcom the first
Replied on: 08/31/2006 08:33:04 AM
what spelling error?

Reply author: annamariaslim
Replied on: 08/31/2006 11:05:03 AM
Some things I have found to be useful when doing the extractor,take some masking tape and apply it all over the extractor/plunger area in case the issued tool slips.Make sure the hook on tool faces back of weapon and pull like hell to push plunger as far back as possible for taking apart and putting back together. Clean ALL crud out and LIGHTLY oil. The tape trick has saved my Mak from alot of slips and scratches.

Replied on: 08/31/2006 4:28:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by arcom the first

what spelling error?

Nice try, but we can see your foot prints where you snuck back in and made the change. Are you a National of the Congo? You do just fine with your english.

Replied on: 09/01/2006 2:02:49 PM
What spelling errors? What changes?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Too bad the link to the video did not survive the transition to the new forum. Maybe someone has it and can repost it. It is a very nice piece of work. CB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts