Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is some kind of malware that either emanates from this site (which I suspect) or is triggered by it. My anti-virus "finds" it and my SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY removes it, but it keeps re-infecting and reappearing.

This site seems somehow involved.

Any clues?

·
Administrator
2,042 Posts
This is some kind of malware that either emanates from this site (which I suspect) or is triggered by it. My anti-virus "finds" it and my SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY removes it, but it keeps re-infecting and reappearing.

Any clues?
Hey There,

I googled this and it seems to appear in a couple places.
I was unable to find a source or any indication that it is indeed harmful.

Did you run a Malware check? If not, can you run one and let us know what you find?

To the community, has anyone else come across the above issue on this site?

Richard.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's mainly a pest. It does not actually lock out the computer, but it is extremely annoying. I encounter it many times daily, and can find no removal tool.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently my anti-virus blocks or changes parts of it. It now spews nonsense as above but "Type 2734".

Anyone have any idea how to get rid of this??

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've used 4 separate online website checkers to scan this site, and nothing has come up. I suspect you have malware on your computer and it is simply triggering on this site. You most likely have malware that your antivirus isn't picking up, a "dropper" program that reinfects your computer after your antivirus removes what it detects. When faced with this type of persistent malware, my general recommendation is to perform a complete reinstall of your computer's operating system. Backup your data, and nuke and pave.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suspect you are correct.

When I signed on just now, I got a prompt to load an "extension" from "facelessly".

Found some odd bits of code last night and expunged them with the assistance of SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY, and some of the other places that had been acting strange seem to have "healed".

We shall see.

I am using old XP SP 3 anyway, and have to replace my towers and drives fairly soon anyway.

Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I suspect you are correct.

I am using old XP SP 3 anyway, and have to replace my towers and drives fairly soon anyway.

Thanks.
There's your problem. You've been without security patches for 3 years, and your browser probably is out of date, too, because most browsers dropped support for XP years ago. You could have gotten infected simply by visiting a malicious website, even if you didn't consciously download anything. Holy cow, man. Make replacing that thing a top priority. I'm a sysadmin with a degree in information security. I would be more surprised if you weren't compromised at this point.

In the mean time, follow this article: http://www.zdnet.com/article/registry-hack-enables-continued-updates-for-windows-xp/

This will allow you to receive limited security updates. I also recommend using Firefox, not IE or Chrome. Firefox still supports XP, at least for the time being. That way you won't get compromised again just by visiting an infected website.

Also grab ClamWin, as a supplement to whatever antivirus programs you currently have. http://www.clamwin.com/

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
7 or newer

I was all set up to update when medical and financial issues came up that pre-empted doing so.

Any idea where I can get a desktop hard drive for relative peanuts. used??

Windows 7 or newer. I had a laptop in 7, it couldn't keep up with my graphics demands. And the new photoshop is apparently not compatible.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I was all set up to update when medical and financial issues came up that pre-empted doing so.

Any idea where I can get a desktop hard drive for relative peanuts. used??

Windows 7 or newer. I had a laptop in 7, it couldn't keep up with my graphics demands. And the new photoshop is apparently not compatible.
What price were you thinking would be peanuts?
What size HDD are you looking for?

NewEgg.com has a new 1Tb drive for $50 shipped, down to a new 160Gb drive for $15 shipped.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I did the FIREFOX thing, and I am still having some issues with it, but it works somewhat better.

Don't like the browser anywhere near as well. But I can live with it.

And the virus/malware issue has NOT recurred.

By 4 weeks from today, I'll have a new/rebuilt Windows 10 tower/hard drive. Then the sniveling will, if not end, diminish.

·
Administrator
2,042 Posts

Any clues?
It's mainly a pest. It does not actually lock out the computer, but it is extremely annoying. I encounter it many times daily, and can find no removal tool.

Hey guys,

Did you check to see if this appears from the site on different browsers? Or from any other sites? It does sound like a virus on the PC that's triggered by our site. Give it a try to see if different browsers have any effect and let us know - thanks!

Cheers,
Natalie

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It has been about 24 hours and no recurrence yet.

Oddly, the malware only ever appeared in/around/adjacent firearms sites. Very odd. I've had viruses and other malware before, but this one was very, very odd. Also odd: my anti-virus and spybot S&D kept finding it, or pieces of it, expunging it, and it would recur when I would later re-visit the same site(s).

Anyway, even if it's not over--and it'll be a few days before I can draw that conclusion--it's surely far less annoying and less chronic.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Glad to hear I was able to help. I don't like Firefox very much, either, but it's still updated on XP so it's your only hope for security. That's coming to an end soon, too, though.
Yeah, but I'd almost rather XP to the official spyware that is Windows 10. Win10 is almost just one big key logger with 'app' support. (What ever happened to 'programs'?) In one instance it actually was a key logger, sending every keystroke you made back to Micorsoft.

The data Win10 collects about you and sends back to Microsoft, at minimum: https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro...ic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields
But when the new update installs it forces the data collection setting to the 'full' level, not the minimum (or OFF). The list of what else it collects in addition to the minimum is here: https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/configure/windows-diagnostic-data

Some of the stuff they collect there is kind of scary. Like the IMEI number off your SIM card on your phone/tablet running windows.

Not to mention just annoyances like that the most recent update also resets all of your default applications. Forcing you to turn off/uninstall all the Microsoft apps you didn't want to use and had already turned off or uninstalled. Don't want to use Edge, Cortana, Media Player, photo viewer, maps, Outlook, etc.? Too bad! try them again anyway!

Makes one all warm and fuzzy inside.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Honestly, most of the crap about Windows 10 is completely unfounded, and it's just the way technology in general is going. Everything is becoming more connected, and more and more things are offloaded to online servers. Sure, some people are paranoid, and sure, there's some potential risks out there, but you can't stop the future.

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
Win 10 does default to everything spyware "ON" but you can kill it easily. The glitch being every time you get an update it all defaults back to "ON" again & you have to stab it in the heart with a wooden stake all over again as its more "Undead" than Dead!
:p

·
Registered
104 Posts
Win 10 does default to everything spyware "ON" but you can kill it easily. The glitch being every time you get an update it all defaults back to "ON" again & you have to stab it in the heart with a wooden stake all over again as its more "Undead" than Dead!
:p
Honestly, almost everything today meets the classical definition of spyware. You can't get away from it and still have modern conveniences. I don't like like it, but as a sysadmin I also see the futility in fighting against it. So many aspects of modern computing are going to "the cloud" (which is really just somebody else's computer). Some of it is anonymized. Some of it is not. But, in general, your information is heavily encrypted. That's just the world we live in now, and there's no changing that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.