Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all Id like to thank all the members on this forum, I've always enjoyed lurking on the Japanese forum since you all are a neat community.

I've been keeping my eyes out for an Arisaka since reading here (I used to run a cross them and turn my nose up on that crude Japanese junk) but have matured from a Remchester to a Milsurp collector, and learned to appreciate the history and unique qualities of all Military guns.

Moving along now, A local store has a Substitute Type 99. Im not sure what series, but no handguard, two screw sling, welded blob of a bolt, wooden butt plate with four nails, no dust cover, welded on peep sight. over all, almost every short cut in production is representive.

bore is vg, bolt is mismatched, mum has been crossed out. stock is in good condition, ie. no sanding etc, etc. Dealer is asking $120,
Any thoughts?

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello glee:
The substitute 99 rifle will have a short handguard from the rear band to the rear sight, in most cases the stock forend is a separate piece invariably loosely fitted, by that point in the war no dust covers were issued even though the grooves were still there. Towards 1945 they even did away with the machining of the dust cover grooves.
Without a picture of the series / serial number and the over-all rifle is hard to asign a value, the asking price seems reasonable if you need such an item. Depending upon arsenal-series-condition it could be worth more.
Vicasoto

1 - 2 of 2 Posts