·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
jarjarbinks11
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1702 Posts
Posted - 08/12/2007 : 2:06:35 PM here is another one of my finds from Japan. i bought this helmet for $60 and at the time i didnt know anything about them. not much has changed since then as far as my helmet knowledge goes. the lady i bought it from told me it was an Imperial guard helmet. i dont know if that is true but i have to say, i have been looking for one since i bought this 7 years ago and have never found another one like it. i see alot of similar ones with the same shape as this one but the device on the helmet is different. the device on this one has the 5 point star on it in front of a chrysanthemum. i dont know what it was used for but the star/mum have not tarnished like brass will. the inside of the helmet has 3 "D" rings for the liner to attach to. unfortunately there is no liner left. there are remnants of white paint on the inside brim which i think was probably a name of the former owner. as i said before, i dont know anything about helmets and i dont really want to sell this one but i would like to know exactly what it is and how much it might be worth. im just curious to know if my $60 was well spent. thanks all!

Download Attachment:
57.94 KB

Download Attachment:
63.67 KB

Download Attachment:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jareth

USA
1634 Posts
Posted - 08/12/2007 : 10:16:43 PM Jarrod, your helmet style has at least a few unofficial designations 1) Last ditch 2) Civilian defense 3) Civic. This variation has a wide range of use. Everyone from factory guards & workers, police, fire, youth organizations such as colledges, high schools etc, air raid wardens and probally a few others I've neglected to mention. Yours is the most common pattern. It probally had a round "doughnut" liner of coarse cheese cloth & cloth chinstraps. I do not recognize the symbol on front. Perhaps Edokko can help? These helmets are the most common used "fakes", meaning they often have army stars & navy insignia added post war. Yours is worth the money you spent.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edokko

USA
2271 Posts
Posted - 08/14/2007 : 02:01:08 AM Not sure what the insignia means, but perhaps a VA or some kind of civilian support for the military. The star represents the army and the cherry blossom in the background (not a chrysanthemum) represents the navy.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jareth

USA
1634 Posts
Posted - 08/14/2007 : 09:55:41 AM Jarrod, Imperial Guard insignia is a star with wreath around it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jarjarbinks11

USA
1702 Posts
Posted - 08/14/2007 : 12:16:52 PM thanks all for the input! i guess my search continues to find out exactly what this type is. is it a rare insignia? how much do you think it is worth?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BradB

USA
3021 Posts
Posted - 08/15/2007 : 10:34:11 AM It's worth about $60. Generally not perceived by collectors to be a combat used item, so these don't gather much wide-ranging interest. Nice looking!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts