Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put a scope on my 91/30. Does anyone have a testimonial they can share on using the JMeck, Rock Solid or Advanced Rifle Parts Mounts? I want the one that will give me the lowest mount and good eye relief. Any pictures of your Mosin with a mount on it would be appreciated. I am putting a Nikon Prostaff 4-12X40 scope on.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I'm not familiar with the mounts you listed. Most people use a mount that replaces the rear sight. They do this for 2 reasons. 1) It doesn't permanently alter the rifle. 2) It doesn't require a "bent bolt" to clear the scope. It does mean you have to use a "long eye relief" (LER) scope.
From what I have seen, the bases that clamp to the 91-30's sight base are still prone to walk forward from recoil. Many guys either end up pinning or at least dimpling and set screwing the sight base to overcome this.
This topic is well covered here time to time. Just be patient the replies will come.
Motor

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you want good eye relief and low mount there is no other way than drill and install a mount . You can have the choice of installing it on top or using a side mount . I chose a side rail/mount for a few reasons : the receiver is softer and easier to drill at the side and the exact placement of the drilling is not as critical , plus with a side mount I can slide off and on the scope any time I want without the loss of zero , as on an AK system . On the Mosin (first pic) , I wanted to utilize a modified , shortened side mount that I had left from another proyect some time ago (the lever part of the side mount was cut out), so I had to mount it to the side rail underneath it with 4 small screws . If you look carefully you can see the side rail under the side mount. If I want to take off the scope/mount I would just take off the 4 screws , and then , when mounted back it would seat exactly on the same exact position . The side rail is attached to the receiver at the top, not to the stock . The M28/76 has the standard side rail/side mount that slides off and on , also without losing zero . It was a lot of work and lots of careful measurements to make it perfect , so it was not easy , but I am satisfied with both results . The work came out professionally perfect on both rifles . The Mosin`s scope objective is 4 mms up from the barrel , because I removed the rear sight . The M28/76 scope`s objective is 14 mms up from the barrel because I did not remove the rear sight , but it is 3 mms up from the rear sight .

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes, these two are nice . The side rail on the Mosin is sold by Kalinka and also the side mount. On the M28/76 the side rail is sold by Eastwave . You can buy it from Ebay . The side mount is a standard BP-02 low centered mount , also sold by Kalinka .
The M28/76 can be put back to factory original if I ever want to .

·
Banned
6,075 Posts
what good does it do to have a nice conventional scope if the mount sucks ?...
solid mounts work...hose clamps and aluminium kcrap do not.....
i like the mounts shown...dont have any experience with them..but the look good and solid.
may i ask what you plan on doing with a 4-12x scope on your 91/30 ??
just how good is the bbl ?
for just over 100 bucks you can get a scope and mount that is solid....sk scope mount and inexpensive 2-7x long eye relief scope...
aim has a more expensive 30mm tube scope...still 2-7x
so whats the plan and just how good is the bore and the crown...
mike in co

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Best Mount On The Market

Hi; everybody has an opinion just like certain body parts so here goes. I would suggest the Rock Solid mount. Yes it requires drilling and a custom bolt and yes it is as stated Rock Solid. RS is a 3 bolt system, 2 on the top and 1 on the side. It is not a removeable mount like in the pictures above. Here are a couple of pics to help you make your decision.

·
Registered
656 Posts
what good does it do to have a nice conventional scope if the mount sucks ?...
solid mounts work...hose clamps and aluminium kcrap do not.....
i like the mounts shown...dont have any experience with them..but the look good and solid.
may i ask what you plan on doing with a 4-12x scope on your 91/30 ??
just how good is the bbl ?
for just over 100 bucks you can get a scope and mount that is solid....sk scope mount and inexpensive 2-7x long eye relief scope...
aim has a more expensive 30mm tube scope...still 2-7x
so whats the plan and just how good is the bore and the crown...
mike in co
Yes , the mounts are totally solid on both rifles . The side rails are steel on both rifles and on the Mosin even the side mount is also steel . They are removable so that is great and convenient , but it took a lot of work to made it right.
If I wanted to put a mount on top I would choose Rock Solid , which I think is a good mount . It has 3 points of footing so it requires 3 bolts and 3 holes .
This is a pic of the M28/76 side rail , all steel ... it is the same system as the VZ54/91 Czech rifle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The 91/30 I have is in very good condition. I am shooting accuratly at 100 yds with decent groups. Crown and bbl are in great condition. I just want good magnification on the scope I get so I can see the 200 and 300 yard targets at my local range. I'm not sure I could see that far with a 2-7X but I haven't looked at them. I have to admit I don't own a scope over 3-9x40 so thought I would try something with larger magnification. I like the Rock Solid mount I just didn't want to have to pay a gunsmith to drill and tap my Mosin. I am not opposed to drilling and tapping the Mosin so I might just do that anyway. The other mounts go on by attaching a band on the barrell chamber. I haven't seen any bad reviews on them so I was hoping someone on the forum had experience with them to tell me if they are holding up to the recoil thus not screwing up their scope zero. What size scopes do you all have in those pictures and how far are you shooting accurately?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
The scopes are 4.5-14x40 . I have shot accurately up to 200 yds , since that is the limit on the range I go to .
At 200 yds I can perfectly see and shoot any of the five different 2x2" targets on the 8x8" paper target and the impacts without any strain at all . I like to have enough power on the scope to be able to shoot comfortably .The scopes have a very precise Parallax that allows me to obtain great detail and definition .

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi; everybody has an opinion just like certain body parts so here goes. I would suggest the Rock Solid mount. Yes it requires drilling and a custom bolt and yes it is as stated Rock Solid. RS is a 3 bolt system, 2 on the top and 1 on the side. It is not a removeable mount like in the pictures above. Here are a couple of pics to help you make your decision. View attachment 546323 View attachment 546324 View attachment 546325 View attachment 546326
What kind of groups do you get with that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.