Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend GLee asked me to write about my experience in Cuba. Back in the 80s my school kept about 10 M44s, Rumanian and Russian origin, some VZ-52, and a couple of PPSH and AK47. We were trained first with the M44, boys and girls were taken from the classroom to a shooting range and were given 5 rounds and targets were placed at about 200 meters, I remember hitting the target the first time, the rest of the rounds hit the hill behind the targets due to the pain being so intense to aim at anything. M44s were used to train the MTT (Milicia de Tropas Territoriales), this army is structured by mostly senior citizens and women. VZ-52 and FALs were brought to Cuba in the early 60s and were used by the army to fight insurgents against Castro in the central mountains of the island. I will keep posting stories.

·
Administrator
7,284 Posts
Boys and girls trained on a M44?? That would make some kids never want to shoot again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am from a town called Remedios, in Villa Clara, I was one of the many pioneros born and raised in the strong years of the revolution, we were given military classes since first grade, and were taught to hate anything that has to do with freedom and ideas that we proudly stand for in this country. I left Cuba in 1994, since then, I have been free and collecting guns here and there, a couple of Mosins within them, to keep in touch with the past.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Gravelo, welcome to Gunboards. We appreciate you sharing your experiences!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I find it ironic that Gustavo is the person that got me into collecting Mosins and teaching me a deeper appreciation of the freedoms that this wonderful country offers, especially for me an appreciation of the 2nd amendment.
Here is a person to risk life and limb (and almost died) to find freedom. One of Gustavo's first implemintation of his new found freedoms was the purchase of 1928 Finn'd Dragoon.

When he first told me he collects Mosins, I laughed at him, that he collected that cheap Russian junk. (I was a Remchester guy) Upon going to the range he brought out three Mosins including an M44. I had such a blast shooting those rifles that I went to the local Big5 and purchased three MN's, an M38 , M44, and an M91/30. Also, he told me to keep my eyes out for any Mosins with the [SA]," that the Finnish rifles where great shooters." I month went buy and I stumbled on a really long Mosin. Upon inspection, I saw the [SA]. Echoing Gus's words I snatched it up and went home to see what I had. That’s when I found Gunboards, and soon discovered I found a 1926 M91 Tikka. Well shoot, I just found a collectors piece and thus started my collecting frenzy. I read and reread all I could on Mosins, (I carried around Ted's rarity page to every store I could find) and another month went by and I found an M27 and a M28-30. For a beginner collector, I felt like I found the Holy Grail. That was two years and 32 Mosins ago.
Thanks Gus!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts