Gunboards Forums banner

Exciting range visit today (Squib round)

4K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  stjoan1 
#1 · (Edited)
Based on several other recent threads I decided to go test some of my 800rd+ stock of HPs in my Bulgie and rebarreled [9x18] IJ-70. First I tried some of the older GA Arms HPs, fired a full 8rd mag, followed by a 5rd mag, using each Mak. One round would not chamber but upon dropping the mag and reloading the round in the mag and feeding it, it worked. No big issues here except I was all over, under, and who knows where some of them rounds went. Haven't fired my Maks in 4 months or so, so maybe a good part of that was me, and it showed.

So, nothing interesting yet.

Next, I fired some older Hornady HP rounds. I got these from George Fisher about 3 years ago, so no idea of age. I had one round that was a little weak causing me to stop firing, drop mag, and check stuff out.

So, nothing interesting yet (wait for it, its coming)!!!

I think I had 23 rounds of this stuff to use up and round 21 just didn't sound/feel right and also I immediately noticed a LARGE amount of powder smoke pouring from around the slide and chamber. Not your normal post shot smoke residue, more like 8 times the normal amount.

I immediately yelled "Cease Fire" (other shooters where on the range), and dropped the mag, and locked the slide back. I cycled a round out doing this and noticed that the cycled round projectile was noticably depressed into the case. Next the RSO and I noticed a squib round so close to the chamber that when the slide cycled the next round and forced it into the chamber, the end of the round hit the squid round, causing the projectile depression [shown below]. Also, the unburnted powder seemed to be wet from the remains of the squib round. The temp was about 30 degrees or so. I had no issues with any other ammo all day, just these rounds. I also noticed that these rounds seemed to leave lots of residue like unburnted powder. Noticed it when changing mags.

Here are some photos:

My first squib round. Guys, be careful out there!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
First, glad you had the experience and training to know something was wrong which prevented possible injury. It's easy to get comfortable and not be aware of each round. I haven't had a squib myself, but seeing one that has happened is a wake up call that it can happen anytime, anywhere. Thanks for posting. Joe

#4 ·
Glad you found it before it caused damage. Last year I had my first ever misfire on a factory round with my .44 causing me a monster buck, ugh.

#8 ·
This wasn't new ammo. I'm going to assume its 6+ years in age. Maybe NB can help shed light on when this ammo may have been made.

#13 ·
I'm a bit curious why you felt the need to call a cease-fire? If that happened to me, I would clear the pistol and then call the RO over. If they thought there was some danger to other shooters they can call a cease-fire. From end to end of your story, I don't see any danger to any nearby shooters, or to you, once the gun was cleared of mag and following round.

#14 ·
I called a cease fire because of all the smoke, maybe that round was waiting to cook off. You weren't there, better safe than sorry!

#19 ·
Pretty sure it did. Just not much or it was wet. If you look at the 3rd pic that black stuff at the bottom of the lodged projectile is wet powder.

#21 ·
Glad nothing bad happened. I have had 2 squibs. One on my 10/22, which I noticed I blew the first round out of the barrel with the second. Luckily nothing bad happened other than I needed to a new barrel. The second time it happened was with a .22 conversion set for my Mak. The bullet only made it about half way down the barrel. This time the shot didn't feel right and there was lots of smoke. I put the pistol down and waited a bit and then field stripped it and figured out what happened. I tapped the bullet out with a cleaning rod and gave the gun a through cleaning when I got home. Shoots fine now.

Be safe!

#23 ·
That old Hornady is infamous stuff. Around 10 years ago I had the exact same suib - lots of smoke, no recoil, and unburnt powder sprayed around the chamber. I wrote to Hornady. They paid to have the remainder of the box shipped back to them for their inspection and they sent me a new box. I sent it in because I wanted to hear the results of their investigation. They said a static bridge had formed during loading.

Back then I was getting squibs from the old Silver Bear 115-grain and when it happened with Hornady I was getting a bit PO'd. I was carrying a dowel with me to the range and I'd beat out squibs with my shoe. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I shot and others around me shot when I was in the military without ever seeing a squib. It speaks poorly of Hornady's past QA (and the QA of the earlier Russian rounds).

I don't know of squibs occurring with Hornady's current production. Just that older stuff.

#24 ·
I can [98%] safely say I don't have any more of the stuff. But, I'm going to comb through my stash just to make sure!!!!

NB,

An idea struck me to post in the ammo sticky this may be suspect ammo. use with [more] caution [than normally].

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.