Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at the Dunham's in Hanover PA. I was checking out a 91/30 laminated stocked rifle. It was in really nice shape and has a very nice smooth action. I noticed 4 little holes on the inside of the receiver, and DING a light went off in my head (normally the light is burned out ) . This may well be a ex-sniper rifle. It would be cool to have a Ex-sniper and it would be cool to have a laminated 91/30. I am assuming based on the 4 holes that this is a real ex-sniper. Now my questions are
1.) Were there any sniper rifles with laminated stocks ?
2.) If I were to want to return this rifle to sniper status, would I look for a wood stock or cut the laminated one?
3.) How would I know how to cut the stock for the scope mount, like as in a drawing with dimensions etc.
4.) Are there any other marks on the receiver that would indicate sniper service?
5.) Dates on the receiver ( I don't recall which this one said ) would there be any years that would rule it out as a sniper ?

My thinking here also is that a rifle used for sniper service may have been tuned a little tigher in terms of accuracy and function. Oh by the way I put the rifle on lay-away in hopes of a sale comming soon. The rifle is listed @ $150.00, a sale I think would put it at around $119.00 .

·
Registered
221 Posts
flat top, if its a tula arsenal ex sniper it should have a c n or ch stamping above the tula mark , a star with fletched arrow. if its a izhevsk arsenal , triangle with small arrow below date also laurel with hammer and sickle. dunhams sale is usallly 139.00 on these rifles. tjm22shot54

·
Gold Bullet member
13,573 Posts
As far as I know, very few, if any WW2 PUs got laminated stocks. Sure is safer to use a stock which is like one that would likely come on the rifle you have. It would look nice with a laminated stock though.

You can probably borrow a replica or correctly cut PU rifle stock and measure it or trace a pattern. If you mount the base, and look at some pictures, do some measuring, it can be cut the hard way.

Tula barrels were marked as mentioned. Izhevsk PUs, except a few early in 42, will have a scope number(can be struck, renumbered, removed) on the barrel shank just ahead of the mount base showing it was a sniper.

No need to look for a date because it was drilled and if it has the Tula mark, or the scope number mentioned, it is a former sniper. Dates for PUs are 42-45 for both makers and a few Izhevsk in 47. Give us more details and pics if this does not cover your rifle and questions. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,086 Posts
I would not, personally, cut the laminated stock. What year is the rifle? I would try to find a correct stock for that year and would cut that. You can make a very nice, neat cut with a ¼" core box router bit.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,375 Posts
I agree and would find a candidate rifle with a wartime stock and swap stocks. I have inletted several stocks for a PU set up. No power tools needed. I use an inexpensive razor type knife (the type that slides out and snaps off for new blade) to gradually carve out the stock for a fit. Easily done and the stocks are soft. Go slow but be sure to leave clearance for wood swell or movenment. In particularr at the rear so any recoil movement of the stock will not chip the stock.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,086 Posts
I agree and would find a candidate rifle with a wartime stock and swap stocks. I have inletted several stocks for a PU set up. No power tools needed. I use an inexpensive razor type knife (the type that slides out and snaps off for new blade) to gradually carve out the stock for a fit. Easily done and the stocks are soft. Go slow but be sure to leave clearance for wood swell or movenment. In particularr at the rear so any recoil movement of the stock will not chip the stock.
WATCH YOUR THUMBS!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts