41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Also have a 34/51 MO Tula ex PE. No repairs or fillins
to the stock. No bayo. Has the three fllin/welds on each
side. No cn or ch above the star. No screws or holes
showing inside the rec. RC
About the three holes....I looked while cleaning it today I noticed mine actually has 4 holes.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
IIRC, 500 GeCo sets were ordered by USSR. Only part of this order was filled.
Feldscher, when you say "were ordered by USSR", whom did they place the order with? Themselves or someone else? With the info given throughout this thread have I correctly learned that the USSR somehow aquired some GECO mounts and Zeiss optics (?) and copied them for trial use on 500 or less Mosin Nagants?

· Banned
10,840 Posts
Feldscher, when you say "were ordered by USSR", whom did they place the order with? Themselves or someone else? With the info given throughout this thread have I correctly learned that the USSR somehow aquired some GECO mounts and Zeiss optics (?) and copied them for trial use on 500 or less Mosin Nagants?
The USSR bought them from Geco.

The Soviet made PE and PEM scopes, which are based on Zeiss scopes, numbered in thousands. 500 that were bought in Germany would have been "a drop in a bucket".

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
ij70 - just so that I understand....with Geco being a German company (?) this purchase must have been either before or after the German invasion of Russia? And I assume that the Russians abandoned the project?

· Banned
10,840 Posts
ij70 - just so that I understand....with Geco being a German company (?) this purchase must have been either before or after the German invasion of Russia? And I assume that the Russians abandoned the project?
Oh shit! Time for a history lesson.

Soviet Union and Germany had a very close military, scientific and economic relationships from about 1922 to 1935/36. They signed several treaties:
Treaty of Rapallo, signed 1922
Berlin Friendship Treaty of 1924

The Soviet published materials say that they started making sniper rifles for NKVD in 1927-1928. I assume that is when they bought scopes and mounts too.

And Soviets did not abandon this program, it was in place until 1941. In 1941 Soviets were forced by circumstances to switch to simpler mass produceable and less powerful PU scope.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
ij70-THANKS, that's just enough info for me to start looking up some history on this one.

· Registered
2,529 Posts
Oh shit! Time for a history lesson.

Soviet Union and Germany had a very close military, scientific and economic relationships from about 1922 to 1935/36. They signed several treaties:
Treaty of Rapallo, signed 1922
Berlin Friendship Treaty of 1924

The Soviet published materials say that they started making sniper rifles for NKVD in 1927-1928. I assume that is when they bought scopes and mounts too.

And Soviets did not abandon this program, it was in place until 1941. In 1941 Soviets were forced by circumstances to switch to simpler mass produceable and less powerful PU scope.
I assume the "circumstances" you reference were known as Operation Barbarossa. ;)

Soviets won the war with their blood. Over 12 million military killed compared to a fraction of that from the other Allied coutries combined.

· Registered
66 Posts
NKVD was branch of central Soviet government which dealt with law enforcement.

Also see attachment.
Yeah, the same way the Gestapo dealt with law enforcement!

NKVD were the murderous thugs that did the political executions, oversaw the deportations of Cossacks and other nationalities that Stalin obliterated, shot deserters under Order No. 227, shot those who stopped charging ahead during the human wave assaults, etc.

They also ran the slave labor camps in the arctic and Siberia and executed all political and common criminals in Kiev, Brest, Lvov, Sebastopol, etc. in the face of the Nazi juggernaut before each of these cities was captured by the Germans.

The only legitimate part of the NKVD, IMO, were the OSMBON which were Motorized Infantry Brigades and were precursors to the Spetznatz.

For a good discussion about life under Stalin during WW2, read "Ivans War - Life and Death in the Red Army, 1939-1945 by Catherine Merridale.

· Registered
2,529 Posts

NKVD were the murderous thugs that did the political executions, oversaw the deportations of Cossacks and other nationalities that Stalin obliterated, shot deserters under Order No. 227, shot those who stopped charging ahead during the human wave assaults, etc.

They also ran the slave labor camps in the arctic and Siberia and executed all political and common criminals in Kiev, Brest, Lvov, Sebastopol, etc. in the face of the Nazi juggernaut before each of these cities was captured by the Germans.

The only legitimate part of the NKVD, IMO, were the OSMBON which were Motorized Infantry Brigades and were precursors to the Spetznatz.

For a good discussion about life under Stalin during WW2, read "Ivans War - Life and Death in the Red Army, 1939-1945 by Catherine Merridale.
That's a pretty good synopsis of the NKVD, from what I have read and heard.

· Banned
10,840 Posts

They also used sniper rifles...

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.