Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Banned
10,840 Posts
Was these rifles modified for sniper use (Using these GECO mount)in Berlin by Gustloff-Werke?
No.

Was this GECO mount used on Dragoon rifles in the late '20s too?
Soviets bought some and then started making their own copy of it.

What kind of scopes were used on the dragoon prototype sniper rifles?Zeiss, Bush?
Probably Zeiss since early Soviet scopes are copies of Zeiss.

And on these mid-'30s sniper rifles with GECO mount? Zeiss or PE?
PE and PEM.

· Registered
1,855 Posts
Thanks a lot of the informations guys!!!!!!

I'm very interested in these particular sniper rifles, and there are only few, poor and differents informations on several good books and web site.

Thanks.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I can't tell for sure in the first picture, but it looks like it has pressed sling slot escutcheons. If so, then it's a post-war replacement stock and at least a decade removed from the action. If they are screwed escutcheons then it's from the same era as the rifle, but still probably not the original to that rifle.
They are screwed escutcheons. More pics too.

· Platinum Bullet member
5,057 Posts
Add to me to list of interested buyers/traders - I've got several ex-snipers and would be willing to work something out in trade for a rifle that you could more easily re-sniper. If not, congrats on a nice rifle!

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for the pictures. It's a pre-war stock, but I still don't think it's the original sniper stock.
I would have come to that same conclusion based on the fact that the receiver is '33 the barrel is 34/51 and there are so many different parts on it from different eras. The only question that remains for me on this subject of the stock is; would the arsenal have restamped all the parts of a replacement stock or swapped out the matching number stuff from the previous? (Everything is stamped matching including the bolt and bayo)

· Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
I found some pictures that I put together for previous possible ex-GeCo thread on old boards.
Jaz5833,
I would not (and will not in my case) try to restore this rifle. Just keep it as is.

· Registered
2,529 Posts
The one thing I am not seeing is the "Ch" mark that Tula placed on snipers, usually located at the top of the star on the barrel. Wondering out loud, that with the odd GECO mount holes, if this was a field capture standard 91/30, modified by the Germans, as alb87 kinda suggests above.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I found some pictures that I put together for previous possible ex-GeCo thread on old boards.
Jaz5833,
I would not (and will not in my case) try to restore this rifle. Just keep it as is.
I'm certain now that I will not alter this rifle from it's current state. If you saw the thread on the old board that listed this rifle for sale, you would have seen that I gave TGI $225 for it. Good Deal or going rate? Anyone have any idea of the rarity (numbers known)?

· Banned
10,840 Posts
The one thing I am not seeing is the "Ch" mark that Tula placed on snipers, usually located at the top of the star on the barrel. Wondering out loud, that with the odd GECO mount holes, if this was a field capture standard 91/30, modified by the Germans, as alb87 kinda suggests above.
CH (SN in English) was on Army (Red Army a.k.a. RKKA) rifles.

· Gold Bullet member
14,462 Posts
Too few sale to know the going value. I am sure several of us would pay more. I think you got a good deal. Numbers known--looks like less than a dozen at this point best I can tell.

Ted, are yours C H marked above the Tula star?

· Mr. Flashy Pants
7,372 Posts
All the numbered parts were restamped to match, if necessary, during refurb, including the bayonet.

They probably didn't use the CH mark during that time frame and just adopted it later when sniper production really got under way.

It's hard to put a value on something like this. I have two of them but paid the going rate for a refurbed M91/30 not even knowing what they were myself. As you can see by the offers to buy they're worth more than that. I don't think you were hurt at all by the price you paid. I've never seen one sell (not that it hasn't happened) between two individuals who both knew what it was.

· Mr. Flashy Pants
7,372 Posts
Too few sale to know the going value. I am sure several of us would pay more. I think you got a good deal. Numbers known--looks like less than a dozen at this point best I can tell.

Ted, are yours C H marked above the Tula star?

I'd have to double check, but I don't think so. One is "typical" while the other has been redated to 1944 and is MO marked IIRC. It is a 1934 receiver and I think it's the original barrel, just with the date scrubbed. It doesn't have a Cyrillic prefix to the serial number which goes along with a 1934, not 1944, barrel.

· Registered
2,008 Posts

· Registered
353 Posts
jaz, a lot of ?'s were answered for me also. Thanks.
Also have a 34/51 MO Tula ex PE. No repairs or fillins
to the stock. No bayo. Has the three fllin/welds on each
side. No cn or ch above the star. No screws or holes
showing inside the rec. Great info guys, will be
printing for the MO section of my 91/30 sniper note-
book. Am thinking about "walking" the 34/51 at the
Hampton Gun Show tomorrow. The prices mentioned in
this thread will help a lot.
Regards
RC

· Registered
101 Posts
M.Stewart is the one that brought this rifle to my attention....sorta

TGI had a MO 1938 Ex PEM listed same time as this rifle

When I emailed them about confirming the 1938 was indeed an EX in which they did...
<------------<SNIP>------------->

I passed on both of them... :)

Me, I took the 1938 EX-PEM Sniper. :) I'm glad you passed! :D Sent TGI a PM on 09/02 and rifle arrived early this past week on 09/10. Once I've cleaned it up, I'll post photo's. :cool:

Chuck

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.