Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Mr. Flashy Pants
7,372 Posts
That's a GECO mount pattern, I just need to update the page on my site. The stock is a replacement with random repairs. I can't tell for sure in the first picture, but it looks like it has pressed sling slot escutcheons. If so, then it's a post-war replacement stock and at least a decade removed from the action. If they are screwed escutcheons then it's from the same era as the rifle, but still probably not the original to that rifle. I don't know exactly what kind of relief the GECO mount would require, but it would be more like a PU than a PE top mount, which that one repair superficially resembles. However, for a PE top mount there would need to be a cut on both sides of the stock. The cut at the bolt is typical of all Mosin stocks, sniper or not. I certainly would not re-sniper it either as you'd probably never be able to get the correct GECO mount and whatever scope goes with it (out of my league on that). Congratulations.

· Mr. Flashy Pants
7,372 Posts
All the numbered parts were restamped to match, if necessary, during refurb, including the bayonet.

They probably didn't use the CH mark during that time frame and just adopted it later when sniper production really got under way.

It's hard to put a value on something like this. I have two of them but paid the going rate for a refurbed M91/30 not even knowing what they were myself. As you can see by the offers to buy they're worth more than that. I don't think you were hurt at all by the price you paid. I've never seen one sell (not that it hasn't happened) between two individuals who both knew what it was.

· Mr. Flashy Pants
7,372 Posts
Too few sale to know the going value. I am sure several of us would pay more. I think you got a good deal. Numbers known--looks like less than a dozen at this point best I can tell.

Ted, are yours C H marked above the Tula star?

I'd have to double check, but I don't think so. One is "typical" while the other has been redated to 1944 and is MO marked IIRC. It is a 1934 receiver and I think it's the original barrel, just with the date scrubbed. It doesn't have a Cyrillic prefix to the serial number which goes along with a 1934, not 1944, barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.