Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally received my MO marked Tula ex-sniper from TGI. This is my first ex-sniper and MO marked example so I don’t know too much about either yet. First thing is, I don’t understand the nature of the stock cut just below the bolt handle. This is what I would have expected to see on the tapped side of the receiver to make way for the scope mount. So what was the purpose of this cut? My second question is about the repaired cut on the opposite side of the bolt and the repair just behind the tang; what were these for? What would be the proper mount and scope to look for? And finally, it is my understanding that the bent bolt was replaced with a straight one upon refurbishment or conversion to this configuration; is this correct? TIA

EDIT= Tang date is Star 33 / Barrel is 34/51

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you were looking for a restoration project, I'm sorry. But at least you got a really dissapointed in a really cool way.
Dissapointed because it would be very expensive to reproduce? Or if another reason what would that be?

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jaz5833,
The screw holes are 5.0mm (VS 6.0mm on PU and PEM) and 62mm a part.
I am not 100% sure, but I would say that it used to be one of early NKVD snipers with German GeCo mounts.
I roughly measured the holes with a pair of dividers and a caliper and the outside holes are approx. 60.11mm center to center and the little hole is 31mm center to center to the big holes. The larger holes are approx. 5.5mm in diam. and the smaller hole is approx. 4.5mm in diameter.

I would very much like to restore this to a sniper if it is feasible.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I can't tell for sure in the first picture, but it looks like it has pressed sling slot escutcheons. If so, then it's a post-war replacement stock and at least a decade removed from the action. If they are screwed escutcheons then it's from the same era as the rifle, but still probably not the original to that rifle.
They are screwed escutcheons. More pics too.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for the pictures. It's a pre-war stock, but I still don't think it's the original sniper stock.
I would have come to that same conclusion based on the fact that the receiver is '33 the barrel is 34/51 and there are so many different parts on it from different eras. The only question that remains for me on this subject of the stock is; would the arsenal have restamped all the parts of a replacement stock or swapped out the matching number stuff from the previous? (Everything is stamped matching including the bolt and bayo)

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I found some pictures that I put together for previous possible ex-GeCo thread on old boards.
Jaz5833,
I would not (and will not in my case) try to restore this rifle. Just keep it as is.
I'm certain now that I will not alter this rifle from it's current state. If you saw the thread on the old board that listed this rifle for sale, you would have seen that I gave TGI $225 for it. Good Deal or going rate? Anyone have any idea of the rarity (numbers known)?

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Also have a 34/51 MO Tula ex PE. No repairs or fillins
to the stock. No bayo. Has the three fllin/welds on each
side. No cn or ch above the star. No screws or holes
showing inside the rec. RC
About the three holes....I looked while cleaning it today I noticed mine actually has 4 holes.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
IIRC, 500 GeCo sets were ordered by USSR. Only part of this order was filled.
Feldscher, when you say "were ordered by USSR", whom did they place the order with? Themselves or someone else? With the info given throughout this thread have I correctly learned that the USSR somehow aquired some GECO mounts and Zeiss optics (?) and copied them for trial use on 500 or less Mosin Nagants?

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
ij70 - just so that I understand....with Geco being a German company (?) this purchase must have been either before or after the German invasion of Russia? And I assume that the Russians abandoned the project?

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
ij70-THANKS, that's just enough info for me to start looking up some history on this one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.