Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I finally received my MO marked Tula ex-sniper from TGI. This is my first ex-sniper and MO marked example so I don’t know too much about either yet. First thing is, I don’t understand the nature of the stock cut just below the bolt handle. This is what I would have expected to see on the tapped side of the receiver to make way for the scope mount. So what was the purpose of this cut? My second question is about the repaired cut on the opposite side of the bolt and the repair just behind the tang; what were these for? What would be the proper mount and scope to look for? And finally, it is my understanding that the bent bolt was replaced with a straight one upon refurbishment or conversion to this configuration; is this correct? TIA

EDIT= Tang date is Star 33 / Barrel is 34/51

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Pics

Just more pics

·
Banned
10,845 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
Jaz5833,
that's a very interesting rifle you got there.
It seems to me that the stock is not native to this rifle. The repair cut on the left side looks like standart post top PE mount repair.
Plugged mounting holes are the most interesting part of this rifle. They dont fit any commonly known type of mount used on Mosins. However, there are at least five rifles with this type of mount holes. Two on Ted's site (both 1934):
http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFeatures.htm
(at the bottom of the page, under "unknown side rail mount").
Spur0701 has one,
I have one as well (1928 ex-dragoon)
and now you.
The screw holes are 5.0mm (VS 6.0mm on PU and PEM) and 62mm a part.
I am not 100% sure, but I would say that it used to be one of early NKVD snipers with German GeCo mounts.

·
Banned
10,845 Posts
Jaz5833,
that's a very interesting rifle you got there.
It seems to me that the stock is not native to this rifle. The repair cut on the left side looks like standart post top PE mount repair.
Plugged mounting holes are the most interesting part of this rifle. They dont fit any commonly known type of mount used on Mosins. However, there are at least five rifles with this type of mount holes. Two on Ted's site (both 1934):
http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFeatures.htm
(at the bottom of the page, under "unknown side rail mount").
Spur0701 has one,
I have one as well (1928 ex-dragoon)
and now you.
I am not 100% sure, but I would say that it used to be one of early NKVD snipers with German GeCo mounts.
Aha.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you were looking for a restoration project, I'm sorry. But at least you got a really dissapointed in a really cool way.
Dissapointed because it would be very expensive to reproduce? Or if another reason what would that be?

·
Banned
10,845 Posts
Dissapointed because it would be very expensive to reproduce? Or if another reason what would that be?
If you want to use hacking approach, you could get the scope+mount from a swedish mauser sniper rifle (M41?) and put it on your rifle. Then it will look like the one on the photo that Feldscher posted. On the other hand, I am fairly sure that it is not worth your while (and expansive to boot).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Very intresting!!!

Some time ago I asked information about these rifles and about the prototypes, but, unfortunately I lost the informations....I will ask again in the future.

Congrats for the rifle; I would like to have one of these......

Feldsher,
Can you tell mewhat means "NKVD"? I'm sorry but I don't understand(It might be my language problem........)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jaz5833,
I roughly measured the holes with a pair of dividers and a caliper and the outside holes are approx. 60.11mm center to center and the little hole is 31mm center to center to the big holes. The larger holes are approx. 5.5mm in diam. and the smaller hole is approx. 4.5mm in diameter.

I would very much like to restore this to a sniper if it is feasible.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
16,534 Posts
Now, I like that one. That IS different. A different stock from what I have seen. Interesting...

Gary

·
Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
Jaz5833,
I just measured my rifle.
It is 61.5mm center to center for M5 plugged holes. There is no pin hole in the center and I can't check for a weld mark without removing the stock. However, there is a pin weld mark about 15mm forward from the front screw hole. It is not drilled all the way through. You should have one of those as well.

Alb87, to make it simple, NKVD is a pre-war name for KGB.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Was these rifles modified for sniper use (Using these GECO mount)in Berlin by Gustloff-Werke?
Was this GECO mount used on Dragoon rifles in the late '20s too?What kind of scopes were used on the dragoon prototype sniper rifles?Zeiss, Bush?
And on these mid-'30s sniper rifles with GECO mount? Zeiss or PE?

Any opinion and information is appreciated.
Thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
Honestly Jaz, If it were me on this rifle... I would leave it alone & enjoy it for what it is. An ex-sniper 34/51 MO Tula is a special find all by itself! :cool: From a collectors standpoint it's worth far too much to consider trying to make it into something else. Maybe consider buying one of those SOG sniper specials for $340 instead? :) You could probably turn around & sell this one for a tidy profit... Maybe to me? :)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,190 Posts
I wouldn't re-sniper it. If you want an ex-sniper to rescope drop me a pm. I have a 43 PU or a 42 PEM I would trade.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Sounds like a nice collector piece in the refurbed condition. I have a Nice 1943 Ishevek Pu (from what I heard is easier to restore) with the numbers lined out on the receiver if you wanted to figure out a trade. I dont plan on restoring mine.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
That's a GECO mount pattern, I just need to update the page on my site. The stock is a replacement with random repairs. I can't tell for sure in the first picture, but it looks like it has pressed sling slot escutcheons. If so, then it's a post-war replacement stock and at least a decade removed from the action. If they are screwed escutcheons then it's from the same era as the rifle, but still probably not the original to that rifle. I don't know exactly what kind of relief the GECO mount would require, but it would be more like a PU than a PE top mount, which that one repair superficially resembles. However, for a PE top mount there would need to be a cut on both sides of the stock. The cut at the bolt is typical of all Mosin stocks, sniper or not. I certainly would not re-sniper it either as you'd probably never be able to get the correct GECO mount and whatever scope goes with it (out of my league on that). Congratulations.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,578 Posts
Very nice, rare and interesting rifle. Maybe Vic has an original Geco?? Anyway, I would do a lot or research and thought before I decided what to do with that rifle. No need to be in a hurry. It is quite a find and I know lots of us would buy it or offer attractive trades.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts