Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Point is, most of them are going for $20 or so more than the regular 91/30. That's not much of a premium to pay, if any. However, mine has shot 1.25 inch groups at 100 yards with surplus ammo and will likely shoot at least 1 moa with better shooting conditions/ammo.

I'll take that from my "junk" ex sniper! :D

I consider it super luck that I happened to accidently buy it, not knowing what I was looking at at the time! I would buy another one in a second next time I run across one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Who knows. Mine certainly doesn't have the original stock. There is another peice that we haven't discussed. The fact that the rifle is an ex sniper means it has had some other than normal, interesting, maybe even highly historic past. It was handled, cared for, and used by someone who was specially trained in its use for precision, accurate shooting. MN enthusiasts pay a premium for that all the time. Just my very respectful .02 worth.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Like I said, my ex-sniper was an accident and cost me exactly the same as the non-exsnipers that were on the rack. To me the real value is in the fact that something is different about this rifle than the million or so that came off the line that year. Something different sets it apart. Some guys get interested in different stamps or other oddities that set that rifle apart. To me the ex sniper means someone, maybe a series of someones took an extra interest in this rifle. It presumably went into the field with a specially trained soldier with skills to do a specialized job, a job that was designed to allow one man/woman to turn the direction of a battle with a well placed 7.62 piece of metal fired from that rifle.

Now I know there were tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands just like mine. I also know there were millions that never got that distinction. It may very well never be worth more than those other millions. That's not what I'm in it for, not yet at least. I have 6 kids and limited funds. My grandfather fought in the war where this rifle likely saw action. This is a way that someone like me, with little cash, can connect with that history. The fact that there's something a little different or special about the rifle I happened to wind up with means something to me.

That's why, if I had only $90 to buy 91/30, I would buy an ex-sniper over the others.

To you guys who are way further along (experience and cash) in this hobby than us newbies, I would say thanks for all your knowledge and support. However, I would also encourage you to not create a sub-set of "MN snobs" who look down on those of us who are getting started. Again, I say that with great respect and no intention of accusation, just a reminder that an ex-sniper is about the most collectible MN some of us can afford.:)

I don't intend to make any money off these guns. I tend to get attached. But I would pay a little more for a rifle with some "extra" history.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.