Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
14,167 Posts
Figure of speech, guys. Paying a premium because of what a rifle used to be, but is not now and cannot be again, well, it'd need to be a very small premium.
I respectfully disagree. As proved by a poster showing the the results of a "used to be", these ex-snipers are no ex-sniper shooters. I think the theory that they were made regular rifles because they are not sniper quality is BS. I have many that will shoot well. I have targets to show it. These rifles are accuracy selected, hand fitted to the stock, trigger worked, etc.. They are worth more money. Any '42 is worth more money. Especially a Tula. The value of an ex-sniper is determinded by the rarity and condition. Any '42, especially a Tula, and a '47 will bring some money.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,167 Posts
NOBODY proved all ex snipers shoot better than all other refurb 91/30s. Lots of never-a-sniper, refurbed 91/30s shoot quite well, too. All the special work put into the rifles as they were originally assembled is out the door, not relevant, on a refurbed rifle which probably has no more parts that are original to each other than the barrel & receiver. Value is best determined by the buyer, for the buyer, no doubt. Don't have a problem with that. Thanks for telling me I'm full of sh!t when you have no more definitive information on this than anybody.
My reason for posting on this issue, much more than anything else, is simply to point out that just because everyone else goes nuts over something doesn't mean it's a universally accepted thing. Far from it.
Steven, I never said you were full of it. Sorry if it sounded that way.

I agree many non-snipers shoot well. I also agree that you may only get the benefit of a hand selected barreled receiver in an ex-sniper when it comes to accuracy. That is something plus the history.

I do not say I have any definitive information on this other than quite a bit of experience with ex-snipers, both restored and not restored. Plus, this is what I like and study. I just have a somewhat informed opinion. I also follow the market values on these. They certainly do vary. The 47 on the trader recently was pretty pricey. A 42 Tula, PU or PEM, will not be cheap either, unless you are real lucky.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.