Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Figure of speech, guys. Paying a premium because of what a rifle used to be, but is not now and cannot be again, well, it'd need to be a very small premium.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I respectfully disagree. As proved by a poster showing the the results of a "used to be", these ex-snipers are no ex-sniper shooters. I think the theory that they were made regular rifles because they are not sniper quality is BS. I have many that will shoot well. I have targets to show it. These rifles are accuracy selected, hand fitted to the stock, trigger worked, etc.. They are worth more money. Any '42 is worth more money. Especially a Tula. The value of an ex-sniper is determinded by the rarity and condition. Any '42, especially a Tula, and a '47 will bring some money.
NOBODY proved all ex snipers shoot better than all other refurb 91/30s. Lots of never-a-sniper, refurbed 91/30s shoot quite well, too. All the special work put into the rifles as they were originally assembled is out the door, not relevant, on a refurbed rifle which probably has no more parts that are original to each other than the barrel & receiver. Value is best determined by the buyer, for the buyer, no doubt. Don't have a problem with that. Thanks for telling me I'm full of sh!t when you have no more definitive information on this than anybody.
My reason for posting on this issue, much more than anything else, is simply to point out that just because everyone else goes nuts over something doesn't mean it's a universally accepted thing. Far from it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Appreciate the email, Mike. It really is not a problem, you and I are all good. I have ulterior motive here. In our large internet community, values and desireability are frequently driven by just a handful of people. Most are genuine in their feelings, but sometimes that is combined with a few who are making money off the situation. Not saying that is evil, necessarily, just that one should consider the source. Newbies come in and see a ton of posts from guys all freaked out that they found an ex-sniper. Or, an ex-dragoon. And post replies backing up the original posters feelings. They think these feelings are universal and that they should feel the same way. I offer a different view. How do we decide what rifles to buy? Over a longer period of time, if a collector stays with it, he is likely to become a bit more particular in his likes & dislikes. The longer he stays with buying larger quantities of lesser rifles, the less money he has later to buy more collectible (and more expensive) pieces. It'll be a lot harder to sell many less collectible ones than just a few very collectible ones. I suggest NOT ending up with a bunch of guns that leave you wondering why you bought them, years down the line. 'Why did I spend X on those 3 or 4 (or 12) usetobees when I could save been more patient and ended up with one great real one?' I did not start out with resale of my collection in mind. Eventually, one best give it some consideration. When I see an ex-sniper or ex-dragoon, I am not excited. I am disappointed. All this just to show that one does not HAVE to automatically follow the masses.
Definitive. One of my new words! Way too often, someone gives an opinion that ends up regarded as gospel, when it ain't. I've been using that word a lot, lately. I will continue to.....
One can quote current sales as an indication of value, but consider how it got that way. And, wonder if it will stay that way. Very generally, values grow & remain high on higher quality items. Sometimes fads become boring and value plummets.
All that crap said, everyone does get to decide for themselves what they like and how much they like it. Just take to time to keep track of precisely how you came to value something so highly. The devil sometimes lies in there...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thanks Denny. Nothing I say should be considered, uh, DEFINITIVE, for everyone. I just know that once in a while (at the very least!), someone should take the time to point out that the prevailing opinion is not the only one. Shiite happens, when collecting (or, piling them up, whatever you may call it). Just try to sell 15 refurbs when the wifes car blows up. Compare it to the trouble of selling one all original whatever to cover the emergency. It is good that there are lots of options, some fairly inexpensive, for guys to be interested in and spend their hard earned money on. If there is tons of money, hell, buy them all. I'm pretty sure 'usetobees' (lol, I'm probably gonna be sorry I coined that!) ARE collectible. If collected as what they ARE and not what they WERE and not what we think we can turn it back into. Everything in it's place.

I should add, WHY we think something is usually more important than WHAT we think. Especially matters in these questions of value.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
"To you guys who are way further along (experience and cash) in this hobby than us newbies, I would say thanks for all your knowledge and support. However, I would also encourage you to not create a sub-set of "MN snobs" who look down on those of us who are getting started. Again, I say that with great respect and no intention of accusation, just a reminder that an ex-sniper is about the most collectible MN some of us can afford."

Very few actually 'look down' on newer collectors. There is room for folks at all levels of collecting. It ain't like I don't ever buy $100 rifles, just not 30-50 a year, as in the past. After dozens, hundreds of, so far, lesser collectibles, I do wish I'd 'stepped up' earlier. Nothing wrong with a $90 ex-sniper. Now, a $400 ex sniper, well........
Bears pointing out that, if it weren't for a couple of what some might call Mosin Snobs, this place would not be here at all. This particular forum is called The Collector's Forum - Mosin Nagant HQ, for a reason. Although that is sometimes ignored too much to suit me.
To each their own. But, keep it in perspective.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.