Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Big 5 stores make no distinction between ex-snipers and regular refurbed M91/30's and sell them normally for $90. to $100. So if you live in the area of a big 5 store that would be the prevailing price. Why would anyone in that area pay more? However, sometimes a particular date (early) and type of mount style would have an increased value to a specific collector who needs to fill a hole in his collection. What you can get in that circumstance is based on what he is willing to pay. DDR

·
Gold Bullet member
2,096 Posts
well, depends on make, year, and luck-Got my '42 Izhevsk for $75 on the low end, and a 43/50 MO Tula for $175 on the high end, so I think of that as a fair price range.

As for other snipers, I've seen most ex-PEM's sell for $120-$250, and I've seen topmount ex-PE's sell as high as $500, but they usually go in the $150-$300 range.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Who's selling them for $80 to $150 ? Sure, I found one for $100 with bright sharp
bore but it was pure luck after looking at many many 91/30s. I wouldn't sell it for
anything less than $250. Either you get lucky or you pay.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
well I was considering buying 3 that I came across at Dunhams, a laminated '44 Izhevsk at the Muncie IN store and a laminated Izhevsk '44 and Tula '43 at the Anderson In store. the Tula was interesting because the "CH" stamping on it was much larger than what I am accustomed to seeing. the laminated rifles were $159 - $25, the tula was $109. The current availability of these rifles is misleading, they will become much more appreciated when they dry up at the wholesalers. I just picked up a SNT-40 so I am distracted.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,581 Posts
Who's selling them for $80 to $150 ? Sure, I found one for $100 with bright sharp
bore but it was pure luck after looking at many many 91/30s. I wouldn't sell it for
anything less than $250. Either you get lucky or you pay.
Anything less than $250? I hope its a rare date/type.

Ex-Snipers can be found everywhere. At the last show I found 2 ex snipers 44 and a 42 izzy ex PU, both for around $80. I passed on them.

They are at a good price because not many know what to look for and MOST people dont expect an outrageous high price for theirs.

BTW rguns currently has as many ex snipers as you like for $100 each.
No luck needed and all theirs are VG-Excellent condition.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,581 Posts
I wouldn't buy one, period. They are, after all, junked as snipers.
Highly debated.
Some indeed where in to bad of shape to continue as snipers.
But with 50-200k snipers in ww2, thats alot of optics to clean. I imagine the Russians didnt want to spend the money on it so they just turned them back into normal infantry use rifles.

Most all of the ex snipers are from the latter, they arnt "junk" but the russians had to many rifles to take care of and to few $ to do it with.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
I wouldn't buy one, period. They are, after all, junked as snipers.
Highly debated.
Some indeed where in to bad of shape to continue as snipers.
But with 50-200k snipers in ww2, thats alot of optics to clean. I imagine the Russians didnt want to spend the money on it so they just turned them back into normal infantry use rifles.

Most all of the ex snipers are from the latter, they arnt "junk" but the russians had to many rifles to take care of and to few $ to do it with.
I have to agree with ncreptile. The fact that Soviets went into trouble of converting these rifles into regular infantry rifles shows that they did not want anymore mosin sniper rifles, but still wanted regular rifles. Nothing in this action shows that they were "junked".

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Figure of speech, guys. Paying a premium because of what a rifle used to be, but is not now and cannot be again, well, it'd need to be a very small premium.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Point is, most of them are going for $20 or so more than the regular 91/30. That's not much of a premium to pay, if any. However, mine has shot 1.25 inch groups at 100 yards with surplus ammo and will likely shoot at least 1 moa with better shooting conditions/ammo.

I'll take that from my "junk" ex sniper! :D

I consider it super luck that I happened to accidently buy it, not knowing what I was looking at at the time! I would buy another one in a second next time I run across one.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,164 Posts
Figure of speech, guys. Paying a premium because of what a rifle used to be, but is not now and cannot be again, well, it'd need to be a very small premium.
I respectfully disagree. As proved by a poster showing the the results of a "used to be", these ex-snipers are no ex-sniper shooters. I think the theory that they were made regular rifles because they are not sniper quality is BS. I have many that will shoot well. I have targets to show it. These rifles are accuracy selected, hand fitted to the stock, trigger worked, etc.. They are worth more money. Any '42 is worth more money. Especially a Tula. The value of an ex-sniper is determinded by the rarity and condition. Any '42, especially a Tula, and a '47 will bring some money.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I respectfully disagree. As proved by a poster showing the the results of a "used to be", these ex-snipers are no ex-sniper shooters. I think the theory that they were made regular rifles because they are not sniper quality is BS. I have many that will shoot well. I have targets to show it. These rifles are accuracy selected, hand fitted to the stock, trigger worked, etc.. They are worth more money. Any '42 is worth more money. Especially a Tula. The value of an ex-sniper is determinded by the rarity and condition. Any '42, especially a Tula, and a '47 will bring some money.
NOBODY proved all ex snipers shoot better than all other refurb 91/30s. Lots of never-a-sniper, refurbed 91/30s shoot quite well, too. All the special work put into the rifles as they were originally assembled is out the door, not relevant, on a refurbed rifle which probably has no more parts that are original to each other than the barrel & receiver. Value is best determined by the buyer, for the buyer, no doubt. Don't have a problem with that. Thanks for telling me I'm full of sh!t when you have no more definitive information on this than anybody.
My reason for posting on this issue, much more than anything else, is simply to point out that just because everyone else goes nuts over something doesn't mean it's a universally accepted thing. Far from it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.