Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was there a particular time span when ex Dragoons were made? Or did it just run until they were out of the Dragoons?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
No one really knows. Conversion date is impossible to pin down. There are a very few examples of converted Russian Dragoon rifles that ended up in Finland. And speculation (only) as to whether the Russians or Finns did them. And there have been a very few Dragoons (not converted) imported in with the recent refurb 91/30s. Some of them with Panshin bayonets!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot Radom. Just one of those things I was wondering about.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
No one really knows. Conversion date is impossible to pin down. There are a very few examples of converted Russian Dragoon rifles that ended up in Finland. And speculation (only) as to whether the Russians or Finns did them. And there have been a very few Dragoons (not converted) imported in with the recent refurb 91/30s. Some of them with Panshin bayonets!

Where????!!!

I think I need to do some poking around...

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
My best guess is that the rifles were retro fit starting in the 1932 time frame forward on rifles that came back to the factory for repair. Post was this was done on huge scale as nearly all Mosin type weapons went back into refurb repair facilities and most placed into storage with the adoption of the SKS and AK rifles. Thus most got converted that were in Soviet hands. I have two Dragoons with new rear sight bases and sights that are crudely bead welded on instead of being pinned like later versions. Both are 1920's Dragoons and both are Finnish property marked indicating capture prior to 1944.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
All sorts of different examples out there that defy establishing any single pattern. I have a Westinghouse converted to 91/30 with the rear sight welded on, like the Finn marked ones Vic mentions. But, it has no Finn connection, it came here in an import from Romania. Then there are a pair of all matching, 20's dated Dragoons (not converted). One is mine & the other belongs to a friend & forum member local to me. Judging them by numbering, stock & metal finish, they seem at first to be "all original, matching". But, they both have parts of mixed manufacturers. They seem to be earlier rebuilds, much higher quality than the refurbs we are so accustomed to seeing. Metal & wood finish appears identical to all original matching 91/30s from the late 1930s. Some say the mixed parts was common at original build in the '20s. To me, the early, higher quality Soviet rebuild of Dragoons, well after the full bore start of 91/30 production, seems more likely. The more one looks, the more confusing it becomes. So far, anyway. Spectulation we have lots of!

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Radom hits the nail on the head exactly and I agree as well. Remember that ammo changed and weights etc.. so front sights had to be changed and stocks repaired etc...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts