Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I always think it's fascinating how regular companies during time of war switch over to making weapons for the war effort. Similar to IBM and many other companies in America. Can anyone give insight on this with Japan's side? I recently learned Toyo Kogo, which is the modern day Mazda made rifles. And Toyota made Bayonets under Toyoda Loom.

Text Line Font Parallel Colorfulness

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Well, by far the most obvious example is Mitsubishi (the name means Three Diamonds), who designed and produced the Zero fighter, and a number of aircraft engines used in other types the Japanese used.

In addition to the A6M Zero, they produced its predecessor in service (the A5M Claude) and its expected successor that never really got into production (the A7M Reppu). They also built the most-used twin engine bomber for the Japanese Navy (the G4M Betty).

Mitsubishi was to Japanese Naval Aviation during that time almost exactly what Grumman (Wildcat, Hellcat, Bearcat fighters, Avenger torpedo bomber) was to the US Navy.

Mitsubishi still goes by the same name, using the same logo..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to my research. It was Toyo Kogyo that became Mazda not Izawa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jujiro_Matsuda

I only found this out because I have been looking into purchasing a new car and I've been leaning heavy toward the Mazda CX-5. Seems to have good reliability and I like the look of it. So I started researching the company and got interested in the history. It would be fun if I get the vehicle to get a matching manufacturer rifle. :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well, by far the most obvious example is Mitsubishi (the name means Three Diamonds), who designed and produced the Zero fighter, and a number of aircraft engines used in other types the Japanese used.

Still goes by the same name.
They also comically failed at naming one of their cars and an advertising campaign

They released a car they named "Mitsubishi Lancer Evo Zero Fighter Edition", and had an advertising campaign called the "''zero zero zero till '00'". I remember tv commercials about the "Mitsubishi big zero event"

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Here is a quick summary of the corporate entities which manufactured Type 99 rifles and what happened to them after the war:

Izawa - the company did not reemerge after the war.
Toyo Kogyo - was a corporate entity subsidiary related to the company that eventually became Mazda.
Tokyo Juki - reverted to its prewar business of sewing machines after the war. It is now known as the Juki Corporation. Perhaps the best known international seller of sewing machines. (Next time you see the long version of the "My Pillow" advertisement on TV, note that the sewing machine the inventor uses is marked "Juki".)
Howa - went on after the war to become the primary repair parts entity for US and JSDF for M1 carbine and M1 rifles. Manufactured M1 carbines commercially and under contract from Thailand. It went on to develop the Type 64 and Type 89 assault rifles for the Japanese military and remains today the primary small arms provider for Japanese forces.

Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.