·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Good pic.
Poot

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
The one I had in basic seemed to be able reach both bunks walking down the center aisle heaven help if you weren't out when he got to yours.

Regards
Art

·
Registered
180 Posts
The one I had in basic seemed to be able reach both bunks walking down the center aisle heaven help if you weren't out when he got to yours.

Regards
Art
I found my bunk tied to the rafters after I had decided it would be a good idea if i made the bunk up the night before and slept on it, so I could save some time in the morning!!

T0

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jawohl! chef

Actually that is a picture of der Spiess, roughly the equivelent of a First Sergeant. His rank appears to be Oberfeldwebel or Oberwachtmeister, unlike the American Army/Airforce First Sergeant isn't a rank it is an appointment. Der Spiess is appointed by the unit CO, he doesn't even have to be the highest ranking NCO in the company. The two bands of collar braid around the cuffs are what denotes him as der Spiess, rank is on the collar and shoulder straps. The troopers would reffer to him as Chef (Cheif), kind of like us calling a First Sergeant "top".

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe his rank is Hauptwachtmeister,or Der Spiess (the spear).On the back of the photo
the last word on the second line looks like that,but I could be wrong.....Mariko

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ha-ha! That photo reminds me of an episode during my time in Basic. While I was at Ft Knox, every morning we would hear the Drill Sgts just a cackling in the dayroom as we were falling out for formation in the mornings. We never could figure out what the deal was. Anyhow, one morning the schedule got screwed up or something, so they called all of us in there. The mystery was finally solved. They had been watching "Full Metal Jacket" every morning. They played the scene where the Gunny is slapping Pvt Joker around. One of our Drills turned to us and said "That's what we'd love to do to some of you!" A bunch of recruits went pale. Most of the "kids" (I can call them that...I was 31 at the time) had never seen the movie.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Ft. Knox? I was a cook in a basic unit there. That's right. A cook. Not a special forces, ranger, sniper, but that rarest of soldiers (I've not met another since leaving the service;)), a cook.
I was at C-19-3. later combined with 2nd Bde.

But I took my basic at Ft. Jackson, SC. Here's my DI. Drill Sgt. Condra.
View attachment 7502

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I was 19K, an M1A1 crewman. Went through OSUT there in late '96-early '97. F 2/81.
I was there in the 70s :D I was in splinter village (WWII wooden "temporary" bldgs) just across from the tmp (motor pool). By your time, I expect the splinter village was torn down. When I was there, "Disneyland" (Disney Barracks) was brand new.

About my DI's Condra could be brutal but wasn't bad as a rule... the rule being you did what was expected of you. he actually seemed bored with it all and by the later part of the cycle could, if he was in the right mood, be persuaded to BS and tell war stories instead of repeating classes.

Then there was Landers. Possibly the ugliest man I have ever known. After taking 63 seconds to fall in one day, he gave us a half hour of grass drills for a week... at 0200hrs... on the tarred and chipped company street... in our skivvies. Ahh, those were the days. But after that, he hardly ever messed with us. AND it never took us more than a minute to fall out. May have looked like crap but we were there.:rolleyes:

Theennn there was Nettles. That was his real named and apt it was. He could really get under your skin. And you could tell he actually, really, disliked us. For the others, we quickly realized it was all part of the drill and nothing personal. As a matter of fact, Condra made a point to shake hands with every one of us before we left.

Gotta tell this one on him.:)
We were at the range and Condra had to go back for some reason. For whatever other reason, he had to ride in the back of a pick up truck. As they pulled out, they passed behind the Captain and LT who had their backs to him. He whipped a big salute to them with both hands to brim. Of course we got the giggles and had to do push ups for it, but we didn't rat him out. It was worth it.:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Some of the wooden barracks were still there in '98 & '99 when my Guard unit had to go up there for Simnet training. I think they are all gone now, though.

I was an older recruit (31), so our Drill Sgts didn't mess with me too bad. Got all of the "old man" and "grandpa" jokes. Didn't help that I had a couple of college degrees as well. It got to be a game. I thought one of my Drill Sgts was trying to get me killed once. Was standing in line studying during one of our gate tests, and this shadow fell over me. I look up and it was Drill Sgt Norris from one of the other platoons. This guy was what you think of when you think Drill Sgt...about 6'6", etc... He asks me what I am doing, and I reply that i am studying for the next task, yadda-yadda. My Drill Sgt sees this and says to him "Drill, I wouldn't mess with _______, he's liable to pull some of that MacGuyver stuff on you." Drill Sgt Norris asks me if this is true, to which I reply "No Drill Sgt!!!". He accepts this answer, and goes on to harass another victim. Later that night my Drill Sgt had CQ, and I was on fireguard. I knock on the door. Drill Sgt asks me what i want in that endearing way that Drill Sgts ask such things. I said "Drill Sgt, were you trying to get me killed this afternoon?" He asked me to refresh his memory. "Drill Sgt, were you trying to get me killed by Drill Sgt Norris this afternoon?" He thought about it and said "Nah, you could take him." I said "Yes Drill Sgt...at 300 yards and if he were asleep, but if he ever got a hold of me I was a dead man!" He laughed and told me to get out of his office.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Lol :D

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
The picture is of a Luftwaffe NCO, the "flying eagle" on his tunic and the fact that he
is wearing his tunic collar open are Luftwaffe.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,049 Posts
I was there in the 70s :D I was in splinter village (WWII wooden "temporary" bldgs) just across from the tmp (motor pool). By your time, I expect the splinter village was torn down. When I was there, "Disneyland" (Disney Barracks) was brand new.
nothernug, I was there from Nov 71-Apr 72 for Basic and AIT....Basic A-16-4 in the block buildings and D-7-2 in splinter village....not one of my more pleasant experiences....

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
nothernug, I was there from Nov 71-Apr 72 for Basic and AIT....Basic A-16-4 in the block buildings and D-7-2 in splinter village....not one of my more pleasant experiences....
I forgot to mention I was one of the guys that helped make that experience... unpleasant. I was a cook and at times an assistant DI.:D I was there a little behind you though, 1974-77.
I was originally in C-19-5. Then in '76 (I think it was) they eliminated the 5th Bde and joined it with the 4th.

I took my basic at Ft. Jackson SC. Anybody remember "Tank Hill"? :cool:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heres a pic of one of the recruits,my uncle who gave me the pics I have been posting said they all came off the same barracks wall,so maybe these guys were "buddies"

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hey 'Nug,
That's a DI as I remember them at Knox (Fall of 74). You were a cook? I work with two of them that were in the same era, both in Germany same time I was, both at Graf, Wildflicken, Hohenfels etc. I'm learning from them, maybe someday the secrets of good S.O.S.
That German DI in the lead pic? What the heck airforce is airforce!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts