Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this posted in a WTS add in another forum - no markings that I can see and a barrel that looks like it came off of a Webley RIC (or Belgian copy thereof?) Has anyone ever seen anything like this? My first thought was that it was used to replace a damaged barrel, but the amount of work it would have taken to make the ejector assembly fit seems like way too much work for a not especially valuable gun. I wonder if this was some kind of Belgian or Spanish commercial knock off. Also interesting that it has the old style external hammer block. And odd one!

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
:confused:

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Pistol is a Generic "Chamelot-Delvigne" Revolver, contemporaneous with the Bodeo, with safety Latch etc. Common on the European Trade ( Police, private officer Purchase, civilian Purchase): Could be a Portuguese Abadie Loading gate??

Anyway, common generic 1880s Pistol. Only the Makers marks ( mostly small) and the Liege Proof marks will ID it.

Doc AV

·
Gold Bullet Member
287 Posts
I think this revolver may be all Bodeo. There is a picture on page 158 of Pettinelli's book Bodeo 1889 of a civilian sold revolver with a barrel and front sight similar to yours albeit with a bit of taper. It has all the features of a Type B 1889 Bodeo extant (save the barrel) and virtually none from the generic French/Belgian revolvers of that era. The civilian handguns that Pettinelli illustrates show few markings but your gun may have been refinished and markings removed at some point, perhaps when the barrel was replaced. No modification of the ejection system would have been necessary to install this barrel and at some point these revolvers were relatively new and well worth repairing for continued use. I also think that proof marks would help narrow the search. Any chance you could take the side cover off and photograph the internals? Anyway, interesting gun. Best. Tom

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think this revolver may be all Bodeo. There is a picture on page 158 of Pettinelli's book Bodeo 1889 of a civilian sold revolver with a barrel and front sight similar to yours albeit with a bit of taper. It has all the features of a Type B 1889 Bodeo extant (save the barrel) and virtually none from the generic French/Belgian revolvers of that era. The civilian handguns that Pettinelli illustrates show few markings but your gun may have been refinished and markings removed at some point, perhaps when the barrel was replaced. No modification of the ejection system would have been necessary to install this barrel and at some point these revolvers were relatively new and well worth repairing for continued use. I also think that proof marks would help narrow the search. Any chance you could take the side cover off and photograph the internals? Anyway, interesting gun. Best. Tom
It's not my gun, unfortunately! I just saw it for sale and was curious. I did ask the seller and he was under the impression it was a normal officer's model so he didn't know much about it, I'm reluctant to ask him to take it apart when I have no serious intentions of buying it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.