Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this one, but cannot find it in teh McCollum book

here is the text

This is a Jap Naval Trainer Smooth Bore type 99. Original Jap sling, 32" barrel, Overall length is 50", original cleaning rod. I have never seen one of these with a smooth bore, its not shot out, it is just a smooth bore. Perhaps for blanks? Bore measures about 7mm. Original front and rear sights, only numbers on gun is a number 20 which is also on the bolt and at the end of the chamber is a number 8. Condition of the bore is dark but deffinately smooth. Blueing is very good considering age, starting to mott. Wood is excellent for a trainer, no splits or cracks as seen in photos. Steel buttplate. Markings on side of stock as seen in photos, I can't tell what they are, I don't think anyone will be able to make them out.

I have looked at the pics, but cannot find any markings or stamps.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I do not have he book you refer to but it seems you are looking at a Japanese training rifle; they are smooth bore and were meant to fire BLANKS ONLY. Do not attempt to fire live ammo in it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Duncan McCollum book Japanese Rifles of WW2

He refers to them on page 55 as what you suggested, but the naval jap trainer fooled me

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Sorry, but I don't see any photos. Can you re-post? Virtually all true Japanese training rifles are smoothbored.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,319 Posts
McCollum's book is great for the novice collector, but is by no means a complete treatise. You have to add knowledge found in several books to "get it all". Naval Trainers are common; they bring a bit more than the "standard" trainers because of Navy affiliation, but are not combat weapons. They made versions combining Type 38 and 99 long features and one that is more like a Type 99 (shorter, full upper hg).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts