Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was thinking I might would pick up some more of the wooden bullet blanks but... they are now double the price that they were previously and shipping looks like it’s gone up to 50% also so it would now be $0.08 a berdan primed case (purchasing 4800, up from $0.04).

Of course, that’s still really a bargain for the 6.5x55 shooter when you look at what a boxer large rifle primer goes for today.

... we might be wondering if we can use that primer compound in reused boxer primers for other calibers if this shortage keeps up.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I just bought some at the old price a couple of weeks ago, glad I saved a hundred bucks... thought about buying 2 orders worth, but, I only own one Swede Mauser, and at my current rate of shooting it’ll take me a long, long time to get through 4800 rounds of reloads, so, figured it was pretty pointless to needlessly antagonize the Mrs. even more.

I’ve never reloaded for the Swede yet, but this is my plan to keep myself shooting centerfire without much angst through the drought.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I tried using some of those a few years ago. Used vice grips on the bullets and then used the down stroke of the rock chucker to pull the bullets.
However on all mine, there was such a huge amount of crimp on the case mouths, I could not get them to pass over the expander button on ANY reloading die to resize the necks. (lee, rcbs, redding)
I had like 200-300 of these things. The crimp on the mouths was almost half the diameter of what it should be, you could see they were noticeably rounded over.
I even tried buying a spare decap rod/mandrel from lee for the collet neck sizer, and removed the decap pin, then ground the end of the rod down to a point to make it be able to pass into the mouths. I was then able to get then over the rod and try to resize them with a lot of force, but the brass was so hard, they would stick, yes STICK in the collet die.
I finally gave up and sold them, cheap. I figured that was probably why the last person sold them to me.
I would have loved for it to work, as I always read about people using them with no issues. I must have got the one bad batch.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Definitely sounds like a bad batch to me. I don’t even usually remove the light crimp on my plinking ammo rounds as the boat tale bullet seating takes care of it just fine.
When I bought them, it was only several hundred and not a full case. So I wonder if the person who was selling them had the same issue I did (hence the reason for selling them)
I see all the time people talking about using these with zero issues. I would like to try again, but I am too scared to buy any for fear of having the same issue I had before.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If I ever for some reason wind up over there I may hit you up. However I do not see myself traveling there anytime soon.
I was looking online and JG sales shows them for $199 for 4800. If I did my math right that is roughly 4 cents a round. Where did you see them for higher?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If I ever for some reason wind up over there I may hit you up. However I do not see myself traveling there anytime soon.
I was looking online and JG sales shows them for $199 for 4800. If I did my math right that is roughly 4 cents a round. Where did you see them for higher?
Add the shipping and tax and you will arrive at 8 cents.
Re sizing... I just inside chamfer and jam a boat tail bullet in similar to Stew. They are more accurate than I am at 100 yds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.