Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am buying this little beast. Is it an Evans sporter carbine or is it a chopped rifle? It has a 22" barrel. I have to wait for it to get here to fondle and really inspect it. Is there a schematic or exploded view a fellow could view? Does anyone have a photo of an Evan`s 44 long round? I believe the zap strap adds a nice touch, it is a Canadian trigger lock for lever action rifles:)

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have seen several Evans rifles in that configuration. I haven't seen enough reference material to be more specific than that.
Only the later models had the dust cover.
I have an article that covers disassembly- PM if you would like a copy.
Buffalo Arms has brass. Liberty Bullets used to cast the proper slug for this, but they are no more.
I picked up mine at the Tulsa Gunshow 6-7 years ago.

·
Registered
822 Posts
They made a carbine with a 22", but I believe it had a front band? Check out Maine Made Guns and Their Makers. I borrowed it from the library, so I don't have it in front of me. If I remember correctly, they made "frankenstein" guns to sell after the company went out of business, so yours may be correct even if it isn't "correct."

Mike

PM me if anyone knows where the factory used to be in Mechanic Falls, ME. I tried to go there last fall and found a building that I was told was a Colt factory?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Evans Sporter

I have been browsing looking for information on this Evans Rifle. A friend has asked me to get information on this gun and find its value. His gun is identical to the picture with the octagon barrel. The metal shows wear, but no rust. And the stock has a crack on the left upper side. The mechanical parts work like new. Holds 26 rounds. I have not made a picture of it yet, but was wondering if any one could give a low and top dollar value of this type of rifle. He has a box of Ammo and reloading Dies that goes with it. I know it was manufactured between 1868 and 1871, and only a thousand or so were manufactured. According to the information I found these rifles were used by the Russian Army.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Buffolw Arms makes a healed base mould for the evans long,it is the only one i have had any sucess with,the original bullet is way to small to work being .423 the groove diameter in the NM is .432 measured in my sporting rifle,the chamber has no step it tapers straight from the camber walls to the boar so a heal bass bullet is perfect,a big warning wen taking this rifle apart note were every screw came from as every one is a difrent lenth and not interchable,the evans is not one of the strogest actions so it is best to stick to BP loads and youse a greese cooki to keep barll lubed another good idear is to make up a dumy round for loading,put it in the magizine sicle the leaver twice then start the loading sequnce,one in work the leaver then load another and repeat till the dumy round is ejected close the action and you have a emty chamber and 26 rounds in the magizine,very slow to load but you 26 rounds in reserve ,the rifle works well & shoots well when loads are made proprly,you will get a lot of strange looks at the range when loading so its best to explain to RO what has to be dun to loade this rifle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.