Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered this Gewehr 98 from Royal Tiger Imports back in mid 2020. It’s one that came out of Africa and upon further inspection I found out that it actually has a custom made stock from combing a Gew98 barrel and a small ring Kar98az receiver. Others that have come out of this Ethiopian shipment from RTI (Interordinance) have Belgian and Ethiopian markings which means some were refurbished in Belgian workhouses with spare parts from Mausers.

Mine lacks any sort of foreign markings and it’s also interesting that it combines a large shank barrel with a small ring Mauser. The bore is also trashed but that’s another story.

I’ve found a replacement Gew98 barrel for this but I’m not sure if a large shank can fit into a small ring Mauser. Someone suggested that the barrel on this one was altered so it could fit into the small ring receiver. Any thoughts on this?

Here’s a video I put together explaining what I see:

I’ve included some pictures too for reference.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
is there any Ethiopian stamp on the rifle? Other RTI imported Ethiopian Gew. 98 had a 'Lion of Juda' stamp on top of the barrel
-> if such a stamp is present on your rifle (didn't see it in the video), then you shouldn't change the barrel, due to it's collector value.
Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is there any Ethiopian stamp on the rifle? Other RTI imported Ethiopian Gew. 98 had a 'Lion of Juda' stamp on top of the barrel
-> if such a stamp is present on your rifle (didn't see it in the video), then you shouldn't change the barrel, due to it's collector value.
Chris
Unfortunately, it has no Ethiopian markings of any kind. A real shame so I can't say it has any collectors value whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Its funny how all these marked rifles show up in their auctions and no one gets ones from a direct order.....

This whole Ethiopian Hoard kinda reminds me of Geraldo Rivera and Al Capones vault that was a TV special many years ago... What a let down that was.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.