Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
And a hand guard!

I don't think my rifle ever had a handguard; the stock is not cut for it, and the bluing wear on top of the barrel is consistent on both sides of the middle band.

However, I also think there is a chance that my stock is an Italian replacement, if that is possible. The finger grooves are smaller than typical, and the serial number is in a much larger font than any Austrian numbered gun I have. Then again, the numbering on these is a little different anyway. And I swear the stock looks like beech wood. I will know for sure once I cut the mangled forend off, but the grain and flecking looks exactly like my Carcano and Berthier beech stocks. I know it sounds far-fetched, but I've seen several (5-6) other m.90/95 stocks, and they were cut for handguard clips, and were all very normal looking walnut.

I have only ever seen one m.90/95 on the loose with an intact handguard, not counting the photos you have shared in the past Nick. Seems like their survival rate was not good.

·
Super Moderator
11,656 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

Looking at the video, the entire bolt and mag assembly are from a m.95, so the only thing m.90 about it is the barreled receiver and sights. The AOI stamp on the stock was most likely put there when the stock was on a m.95 short rifle or early stutzen (judging by the rear swivel and the rearward end position of the finger grooves). Otherwise, I think the stock work would have been better if it were done by the Italians. End result is an assemblage of parts done in Ethiopia.

·
Super Moderator
11,656 Posts
;)

Attachments

21 - 24 of 24 Posts