Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been avoiding browsing Gunbroker, since I don't have money for purchases, but just the other day I saw a formerly-sporterized, vet bring back ce 41 listed, which someone had restored. (To my knowledge, I'm not allowed to post a link to the Gunbroker listing, since bidding is still active.) Everything looked nice (sadly, the listing isn't as pic-heavy as it probably should be) except for the stock. Noting that it did not appear to have a JP Sauer stock on it, and recalling that I have a 1940, JP Sauer-produced laminated cupped buttplate stock from Mario, I want to try to contact the seller to ask whether or not they would be ok with letting the winning bidder know that I have a stock which I am willing to sell which is as good of a match as they're probably going to get.

What are your opinions on the ethics of this?

Regardless, sadly, its been so long since I actually logged into Gunbroker that my account's been deactivated, and I am trying to get it reactivated so I can actually "ask the seller a question." Nonetheless, I think this is a serious question, and wonder what your thoughts are on it.

NOTE: this is not a "WTS" post. I have a couple of stocks from Mario which I no longer need, but hate to part with... In this case, though, I thought it would be so outstanding to more properly restore this rifle, that I'd gladly part with the stock to see it go on that rifle.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,518 Posts
You're asking the seller........
I see no problem with your idea. It would look a bit fishy if you did an end-around to the buyer, but I think you are going in the right direction. He can always refuse to answer or tell you to piss off.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,002 Posts
I once bought a Mauser 71 that was missing the rear sight. I knew it was missing due to the photos. The seller told me that someone had contacted him that had the required parts and we exchanged names, I was thrilled.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
71,109 Posts
You're asking the seller........
I see no problem with your idea. It would look a bit fishy if you did an end-around to the buyer, but I think you are going in the right direction. He can always refuse to answer or tell you to piss off.
Well said.

·
Registered
919 Posts

You can no longer contact anyone but sellers with current auctions on Gunbroker. Via the "ask seller a Question" option on a live auction.

Gunbroker stopped any other correspondence through the Gunbroker system because of improprieties.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, to wrap this thread up, I did "ask the seller a question" and explained that I had the correct stock for the rifle he was selling - if he or the buyer was interested. Never heard back from him. So, I guess I either creeped him out, he just didn't care, or didn't know enough to care.

Thanks for all the feedback! I certainly wouldn't have messaged someone like that without y'all's positive feedback.

·
Silver Bullet member
8,002 Posts
You should make clear to the seller that you wish to sell the stock through Gunbroker so that the auction site gets its fair share for facilitating your buisness

Many times if someone asked me if I have so and so to go with something I would open an auction and use the title "Please do not bid"..I would email the auction number to the buyer and he could hit the buy now for the price we set.

You can also tell interested buyers no need to wait..as long as no bid was placed you can alter the title on an existing listing and add a buy now for the agreed upon price

If the seller thinks you are circumventing gunbroker fees that he himself is paying you will not get a very positive response..if any

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.