Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......stirnpanzer???

Hello Gents,

A curiosity question with the WWI Centennial right around the corner. Those of us in the know and into WWI helmet collecting obviously noticed the Berndorfer that recently sold in AGM's catalog for over $5K. However, it's been a loooong time since I've seen a Berndorfer stirnpanzer offered for sale anywhere?

In the humble opinion of our collective brain trust here on GB, opinions please. What is an original example worth these days???

Inquiring minds want to know!

Warmest regards,

JPS

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello doobers44,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm traveling right now and Google is currently blocked, so I can't follow up on your link.

Did you find a price for an actual Berndorfer stirnpanzer (the steel reinforcement plate strapped on the obverse crown of the helmet), or just for Berndorfer helmets? Helmets in the condition of the two examples in my collection fall in the $4000 to $5500 range. This I know. The stirnpanzers, on he other hand, are extremely rare, which is why I am curious to obtain best guestimates based on member input.

I am interested primarily for input and/or opinions regarding the value of the stirnpanzer only. However, either way, I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to research this and to reply.

Thank you!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
608 Posts
It's just like everything else in this economy. Asking prices tend to be 25 to 30% over realistic selling prices. So take that into consideration.

·
Super Moderator
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello msharleydude,

Haven't found any price for a stirnpanzer anywhere? As far as helmets go, an example in similar condition to the helmet in the photos above sold last month for $5250. Not a guess or estimate, an actual sale. It also had the most common of the liners found in Berndorfer's, i.e. the typical metal liner band with three pads, versus the helmet above which has the rare felt liner band.

It's the estimated value of the stirnpanzers I'm curious about? This isn't a run up for a sale, I'm just curious as to what the estimated value of the brow-plate is relative to the crrent pricing for the helmets, which are common by comparison?

The example above has the original strap. My other example has a repro strap from GWM that I added myself. It's an obvious repro that I have NOT artificially aged.

Here is the second helmet with the other stirnpanzer.

Berndorfer w-Stirnpanzer-5.jpg Berndorfer w-Stirnpanzer-6.jpg
Berndorfer w-Stirnpanzer-7.jpg Berndorfer w-Stirnpanzer-8.jpg

I appreciate any and all input, particularly as it applies to the brow-plate?

Thanks for your help Gents.

Warmest regards,

JPS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts