Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a .577 Snider at the estate sale of a good friend of mine. I know relatively little about Sniders but had always thought them to be either military conversions of muzzle loading Enfields or later new manufacture of the Snider system in military pattern rifles.

This one isn't a military rifle, nor does it appear to be a conversion of one. It seems to be a civilian sporter made with a Snider breech. The lock plate is inscribed J.H. CRANE and the barrel is stamped J.H.CRANE. 3. ROYAL EXCHANGE, LONDON. It has a 24 inch, 5 groove barrel equipped with 3 leaf express sights. The stock is attached at the rear with a screw through the barrel tang and at the front by a barrel key/wedge. The stock has a repaired break at the small of the stock and the trigger guard has a break at the very rear through the rearmost of it's screw holes. I can repair both of those with a minimum of modification to original features but haven't decided yet whether to do so or not.

This rifle has a bore which appears to be only minimally pitted with quite a bit of shine remaining and should make a viable shooter if I choose to go that route.

If anyone has any input about this rifle, I'd sure like to learn more about it. Maybe the woods are full of civilian pattern Sniders but I hadn't even heard about them. I knew my friend had a Snider but hadn't ever actually looked at it, I just assumed he had one of the military ones. I appreciate any and all comments and thanks in advance.

·
Gold Bulllet Member
2,451 Posts
Steve, I have one that looks the same as yours by the same maker but it has been re-sleeved to .577-450 a long time ago. I have never shot it as the action is very sloppy, Stretched i suspect. Under the barrel is stamped V. Briggs. 1928, So that may have been the year of the caliber change? chester.

·
Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chester, thanks! I've been unsuccessfully trying to find out anything at all about this rifle. Mine has nothing on the bottom of the barrel so I would imagine you're correct about the barrel sleeving.

The breech on mine is very tight. The big problem it does have is that the stock has been broken completely in two through the wrist. It has been glued back and seems solid enough but there is quite a bit of wood splintered out of the stock at both ends of the break. I am considering removing the damaged areas, replacing them with new walnut and then working it back down to the original shape. Then I'll get to re-do the checkering!

Does your Snider have the same configuration on the fore end as mine does or has mine lost a nose cap? I can't see how one could have been attached unless it was just glued on. There are no screw holes or under cuts to hold a cast pewter nose cap.

How did you come by yours?

·
Gold Bulllet Member
2,451 Posts
Chester, thanks! I've been unsuccessfully trying to find out anything at all about this rifle. Mine has nothing on the bottom of the barrel so I would imagine you're correct about the barrel sleeving.

The breech on mine is very tight. The big problem it does have is that the stock has been broken completely in two through the wrist. It has been glued back and seems solid enough but there is quite a bit of wood splintered out of the stock at both ends of the break. I am considering removing the damaged areas, replacing them with new walnut and then working it back down to the original shape. Then I'll get to re-do the checkering!

Does your Snider have the same configuration on the fore end as mine does or has mine lost a nose cap? I can't see how one could have been attached unless it was just glued on. There are no screw holes or under cuts to hold a cast pewter nose cap.

How did you come by yours?
Steve, Mine has an ebony nose cap but i cant see how it is fixed, I would imagine it would be glued and dowled. Good luck with the repair. Its very hard to hide a repair but the checkering may help do that. I have just been told about a small frame snider that has been bored and chamberd to .32 H&R Mag. from some British rook cal. at a very reasonable price, I supose i will have to buy it LOL. Good luck and keep us posted. chester. OH! How did i come by mine? I dropped by a yard sale one sat. as i spotted a couple of 1959 ford f-100 doors and while in his back shed looking at some other parts i spotted the snider under a bench. You never know whats lurking in some of these oldies sheds.

·
Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chester, if you have a digital camera, I'd sure like to see what that nose cap looks like.

I know I'll not be able to completely hide the repairs but I think I'm going to have to do something to reinforce the stock before I start shooting it.

So, you found a Snider at a yard sale. That sort of thing is exactly what keeps me motivated. Don't bother buying any lottery tickets for a few years. You've used up your good luck for some time. Cool!:D

·
Gold Bulllet Member
2,451 Posts
Chester, if you have a digital camera, I'd sure like to see what that nose cap looks like.

I know I'll not be able to completely hide the repairs but I think I'm going to have to do something to reinforce the stock before I start shooting it.

So, you found a Snider at a yard sale. That sort of thing is exactly what keeps me motivated. Don't bother buying any lottery tickets for a few years. You've used up your good luck for some time. Cool!:D
Steve, I dont have a digi camera (i spend all my money on guns) yet and never got around to learning about posting pics. The black end tip is 1 1/4 long and rounded. I would make the tip from hardwood and soak in black dye for a few hours before dowling and gluing it. If i remember i will ask a shooting friend over the weekend to take a pic or two and post them here. cheers chester.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts