Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these Essex frames aftermarket frame for the 1911?

Any background on these? What would a Rem Rand slide and grips with Essex frame fetch realistically?

Appreciate any guidance or insight.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Correct that Essex is aftermarket and not military issue. Early Essix frames had issues with pin hole alignment and could be nice after fitting. Later and modern Essex frames seem to be pretty much trouble free.
Value?? Depends on how much you want to pay for the rest of the parts that make up the gun. Consider fit and finish......does it rattle alot....has the entire weapon been finished to match etc...
Myself sight unseen would say it needs to be in the $3-425 range at most until you decide what parts make up the rest of the pistol and does it work 100%.
It can be a great shooter.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be looking at a Rem Rand slide on an Essex frame. Overall good shape. GI grips, I think.

Ballpark value?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Seems like someone tries to sell me a put together like this representing it as original G.I. issue at every show I buy a table at.

The usual sucker price is $600.

I would consider paying $300 for the sum of it's parts if I liked the parts.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, ret_marine. That helps me decide somewhat.

Why pay $500 for a put-together when you might as well go out and get a new 1911 clone for about the same. The whole point of a Rem Rand slide is that it be part of an original GI pistol, which I want. Otherwise, it's like a new Shilen barrel on the old K98. Sure, performs great, but not the same as an original issue rifle. If I just wanted a good pistol, I'd buy a new one. It's the history I seek out.

·
Registered
333 Posts
For a long time an Essex frame was one of the few ways an average joe could put together a 1911 clone. If you had parts around, like I did, then it was a cheap clone to build :)

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
I was looking for a decent WW2 1911 for a long time but around my parts beaters seem to go for more than $750.00. Nice guns seem to bring several grand. I settled for an Auto Ordinance knock off for $429.00 and I am a happy camper.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
I was looking for a decent WW2 1911 for a long time but around my parts beaters seem to go for more than $750.00. Nice guns seem to bring several grand. I settled for an Auto Ordinance knock off for $429.00 and I am a happy camper.
Same here. A nice rebuilt Remington-Rand sold for over a thousand recently in the local store, it was their for about a week.

They also have good looking Colt made M1917 revolver for a thousand. Too rich for me. :-(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts