Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tough to find Ersatz bayonet here in good condition with original scabbard. I'm hoping I can get some more info on it like what pattern it is. I'm not sure what the blade came off. I have been told most of the socket blades were British capture this one does have a Imperial proof mark.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
blades from nearly European country come up on the ersoc bayonets, right back to brown bess's, and also US blades/be careful on hilts as repros are out there IMA sells one for example. if you want to collect these buy Roy Williams book to prevent you wasting a lot of money of eastern European fakes.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,477 Posts
Hello Orcutt,

You will find the Carter classification in this thread, however if you are hell bent on determining the exact origin of the socket blade used to manufacture your ersatz bayonet, you'll have to find an expert in obsolete 19th Century socket bayonets.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?166857-German-WWI-issue-Bayonets

Nice find and good luck with the ID of your blade!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Enclosed is a picture of some more markings I neglected to post. BTW the person I got this bayonet from said he contributed much of what you see in Carters Ersatz bayonet book and helped Jeff Noll with his book on Imperial German unit marks. For what ever reasons he decided to unload much of his collection at this weeks Pomona show in CA. To say it was a feeding frenzy is a under statement. He thought the blade is Belgium.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.