Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I starting to restore a little Ema Em1.
But I cant remove the barrel band assembly.
I'm assuming it is dirt a rust welded to the barrel.
I'm trying not to destroy the one that I have.
I have heated it with my hot air gun but nada!!!!!!!!!
I have another Erma and the barrel band assembly moves loosely over the barrel.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
L.

· Registered
163 Posts
Here is my unprofessional experience working on old trucks. Sometimes you need to apply heat and penetrating oil in cycles. Not necessarily a lot of heat but enough heat for things to expand and contract allowing penetrating Oil enter into small spaces that open up when the metal expands or contracts. I have done this with bolts that haven't been removed in 60 or 70 years. Sometimes it takes 10 or 15 cycles.

· Registered
8,302 Posts
Well Gordotox, there are guys that sometimes use two component glue (or something similar) in order to keep things at their place.
I admit having done this a couple of times myself to secure parts that I didn't want to see move on a rifle, mounts and scopes in their rings.
Note: I used a brand that could be softened by heat if needed, allowing to tear the parts from each other again.
Maybe someone used some kind of glue to get rid of something he didn't like to see happen? Maybe it is (silver) soldered in such a fine way one can't notice?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.