Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my studies of various long tangent rear sights , I am aware of the unusual attachment of the leaf spring to the sight base of the Erfurt arsenal guns.Instead of being captured by a U shaped slot in the sight base, The Erfurt leaf spring was configured so as to cam into a recess at the back of the sight base. Is anyone aware of this method of leaf spring attachment from any other arsenals?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Copper Bullet member
395 Posts
I have a 1916 dated Erfurt Kar98a that I got litteraly as a basket case at a yard sale. I cleaned it up and put it back together and it turned out to be a complete 100% matching gun. The only piece missing was the rear sight leaf spring. I have been looking for the correct spring ever since. I picked up a few different kinds of mauser springs from the parts guys at gunshows but none of them ever seemed to fit and I have a hard time visualizing what the correct spring is supposed to look like and how it fits. So if anybody has any info or photos to share I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks

Marzon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Erfurt sight spring

I have one and I'll try to get a picture tonight. I've never loaded a picture onto your forum, and I'm not sure how successful that will be. The leaf spring looks like most mauser tangent leaf springs except for the back end. The last 1/2 inch is thicker than the rest of the spring. There are two parallel 45 degree edges at the front and posterior of the thicker section. The underside of the thick section is concave radius to provide barrel clearance. In installation, the thick back section cams into a mating recess at the back of the sight base. When installed correctly the balance of the leaf springs lies parallel on the top surface of the sight base. The sight blade is then forceably pushed down and forward onto the front of the sight base until it catches and is held captive by the front vertical bosses. I hope this helps.
Miike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts