Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
..to use one of the Mutt's unfathomable titles. Today I was an observer while four 89 model "truck jacks" were sliced and diced.* One was a Japanese navy example that was still coated with the original grease. The owner was so distraught he had tears in his eyes. May the alphabet boys who devise these "still-in-the-womb mentality" regs spend their after-life neck deep in a Mississippi democrat's outhouse.

*grooved and welded.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Why do folks turn these in. If I were to find any kind of knee mortar in my grandfathers attic, it would stay in there, or I would make an attempt to save it legally. Why destroy it.

Its high time the ATF removed these from the NFA.

·
Registered
8,400 Posts
Where did this happen? Usually these douche' bags call in a tv crew so thay can brag about how they saved America from the wildy popular crime tool "The dreaded heavy grenade discharger". Boy I'm going to sleep real well tonight!!!!

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
Bring the next ones over here, as bad as I hate to do it at least there will be no delight in doing it; and I can cry with you. riceone

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
Josh, i dont think these were just turned in. seems as though the owner was quite upset and they were not destroyed....just de-milled (although its the same in some folks eyes).

on a side note, my girlfriends father works for the ATF...i could give you his phone number Josh, and you could give him a piece of your mind?!?!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sonoda, your right about DDs, new ones can be made. But it becomes complicated when you try to register a contraband DD. it possibly could have been done if the mortars were all taken down, the parts moved around between several people, and the mortars "made new" when the ATF approved the manufacture by switching parts around. But that would be gamey and possibly illegal, maybe others more knowledgeable on DDs than I can chime in. This comes up every so often in the forums about registering knee mortars. I still have yet to get a complete grasp on DD nfa rules.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Perhaps the strangest aspect of this situation is that many of these were brought into the country legally, at least the one that I know of was. It was brought back by a Marine officer who got it off the battlefield, a battlefield dewat shot through-and-through by a U.S. .30 government armor-piercing round. Carry papers and everything, but they were lost, and now, it's considered to be subject to NFA rules, even though it has two holes in the tube. Go figure!

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I bought an uncut/welded one years ago when they were $100 items and I was young and foolish (foolisher) and didn't worry about the $10M, 10 years in the gray-bar hotel, or both the feds charge you with if they catch you. The 89 was/had been registered, the owner died, the seller bought it from the family, probably for $25, and didn't want to mess with a $200 transfer fee. Needless to say, it's been sliced and diced.

The machine shop owner that did the work on the four this PM said the charge was $25. The owner replied the price was not fair. The machinist said, "Not fair?" with a strange look on his face. Owner said, "That comes to over $6 each, a fair price would be $10 each and gave him $40. Both parties were happy.

Some years back I had a registered Type 10 that in a fit of insanity I decided to sell. I'd paid $500 and the $200 registration/transfer fee and was asking $700. Finally, after at least two months of advertising in B'zai a fellow said he would pay $700, but didn't want a live one. He would pay to have it cut! A Tuscaloosa area machine shop charged me/him $90 to cut the 2" hole, this was before the feds gave the OK for the slot. So four sliced and diced for $40 was a bargan.

And Josh, I have one that some PO (previous owner) cut the slot, then had about a half inch weld, ground to a "spike," located in the barred above the slot. He took an 89 round, had a slot cut in it from the base up to the fuse area. He replaced the string on the fuse safety "pin" with a longer one. The round can be dropped in the barrel with the welded "spike" passing through the slot in the round so the round rests on the firing pin screw. Oe it can be removed for a close examination of the "innards" of the round. And it meets the alphabet boys requirement that a live round (if you could find one) can not be dropped down the barrel. Makes a better display item than an illegal 89 hidden in the attic.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,251 Posts
Yep, cutting these up makes about as much sense as the Taliban blowing up those ancient Buddas in Afganistan.
"things are evil" :(

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
and about as much sense as us destroying caches of PPSH43s we found in Iraq along with sealed tins of 7.62x54r ammo! what a shame!

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some years ago I bought a Type 98 (?) 50 mm mortar, the one that shot the explosive on the end of a stick. The barrel was filled to with two inches of the end of the muzzle with concrete and apparently a small amount of the original water in the concrete had rusted a pin hole in the back of the tube. I called ATF on the concrete-filled tube and the legality of owning saying I was thinking about buying it.

I was told it was illegal, blah, blah,blah, $10K and/or $10 years, etc. So I took the concrete-filled tube to the local machine shlop, had a two inch hole ground in the "high pressure area" on the bottom of the tube and a spot of weld forward of the concrete. I suppose this will keep me from shooting an 18-20" cylinder of concrete at a Division of Marines, should they chose to attack my house.

At one show a kid brought in a Type 96 or 99 LMG that came out of the Pacific (literally) some years after of the war. It was so rusted on one side the threads on the receiver the barrel screwed on were visable. The whole thing was in "post-relic" condition, but the kid was happy to have it. He said one of his buddy's Dad worked for the alphabet boys, had been told about the Nambu, and said he did not want to hear any more about it and certainly did not want to see it. Regs being Regs it was still considered a machine gun.

Everyone that goes to work for ATFE apparently is given a labotomy. Not true, I've found one or two that would actually return a call and have been helpful, actually would admit it when they did not know the answer to my question and either found it or directed me to someone who did.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Say JarrodM:

At least it is ok for an Iraqi home to have one AK and ammo for it. Here if the Good Ole USA there are states that won't allow you to own a civilian AR or AK much less a military AK no matter what version. And we are the good guys in white hats mind you in the war on terror, something doesn't jive there, guess honest law abiding citizens can't be trusted by our Government.
Vicasoto

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
You are exatly right Victor, our government does not trust good and honest people. You can't get on national TV and ask God to bless Americal but you can get on national TV and Demand God to Dam America. riceone.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
If you allow good honest citizens to have firearms...then the government can not raise & collect taxes from thier subjects...go figure

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I know that they arent literally destroyed, as in cut into pieces. It doesnt really bother me as much as it used to, but it is insane that knee mortars are still on the NFA.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts